Skip to content

Yemeni rebels temporarily allow UN flights to Sana’a airport

| Local News | Fox News

Iran-backed Yemeni rebels say they are temporarily allowing UN humanitarian flights to land at airport in capital Sana’a

CAIRO – Iranian-backed rebels in Yemen said on Tuesday they were temporarily allowing UN humanitarian flights to land at the airport in the capital, Sana’a, after a week of stoppage of flights to the CAIRO. north of rebel-held territory.

Houthi rebels, who control Sana’a and much of northern Yemen, had banned the United Nations and other humanitarian flights from landing at the airport amid massive airstrikes by the Saudi-led coalition on the capital and cross-border Houthi missile and drone attacks on the kingdom.

The rebels accused the Saudi-led coalition of blocking the arrival of new air traffic control equipment. The coalition fought to restore the internationally recognized Yemeni government to power and maintains an air, land and sea blockade of Sana’a and the north.

Sana’a airport “is ready to receive flights” from the UN and other international humanitarian agencies, the Houthis said on Tuesday. They also urged the United Nations to help facilitate the arrival of air traffic control equipment from Djibouti.

War in Yemen erupted in 2014, when the Houthis seized Sana and forced the government into exile in Saudi Arabia. The coalition entered the conflict in March 2015.

In recent years, the war has created the world’s worst humanitarian crisis. More than half of Yemen’s population of 16.2 million faces acute hunger, with 2.3 million children at risk of malnutrition, according to the United Nations food agency.

The World Food Program announced earlier this month that it would cut aid to 8 million people from January due to lack of funds. He said those people would receive barely half of what they currently receive from the agency, while 5 million others who “are at immediate risk of falling into conditions of starvation” would continue to receive full rations. of WFP.

“Desperate times call for desperate measures and we must stretch our limited resources and prioritize, focusing on the people who are in the most critical condition,” said Corinne Fleischer, WFP regional director.

She said the agency’s stocks “are running dangerously low”, urging donors to increase their contributions “to avoid this looming food disaster.”

WFP has said it needs $ 1.97 billion in 2022 to continue providing life-saving food assistance to families on the brink of famine in Yemen.

Breaking News Updates News Today Yemeni rebels temporarily allow UN flights to Sana’a airport

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.