Woman warns of viral nail hacking: ‘They were falling off’

[ad_1]

A woman has shared a now-viral video discussing her difficult experience with a popular manicure trend and urged viewers not to participate.

TikTok user @k.wamp’s video has been viewed over a million times as she discussed the painful side effects she suffered after trying to gel-cure her pressed nails.

Gel manicures are popular, but the American Academy of Dermatology says they can be “hard on the nails.”

Above is a stock image of manicured nails. A woman has shared a now-viral video discussing the painful side effects she faced after participating in a popular manicure trend.
Daria Chernenko/iStock

“Gel manicures can weaken, peel and crack nails, and repeated use may increase the risk of skin cancer and premature aging of the skin of the hands,” the organization said.

If someone decides to get a gel manicure, they are encouraged to wear sunscreen before applying it, not scrape it off when the polish starts to come off, and only dip their fingertips in it. acetone when removing varnish.

Dermatologists also suggest giving nails a break by not wearing nail polish for at least one to two weeks and moisturizing the nails.

The Nail ‘Hack’

@k.wamp says there’s a trend circulating on TikTok encouraging consumers to buy pressed nails in the beauty aisle, but “harden” them with gel, rather than applying them with gel nail glue.

In her video, @k.wamp said she tried the hack, and although her nails “looked great”, they quickly started to itch.

“I literally had to pour near-boiling water over my fingers just to try and ease the pain,” she said. “And then my fingernails were so soft underneath that they were falling off.”

@k.wamp said the gel would not set properly if the press on nails had any pattern.

“It has to be clear for the gel to set,” she said. “And if you don’t, you’ll have uncured gel on your nails.”

The following

@k.wamp continued and people can experience this type of reaction if they get a gel manicure after trying the hack.

“You can never go to the nail salon and get gel again, or you’re going to have the most uncomfortable itch you’ve ever had in your entire life,” she said. “Just use glue.”

In the comments section, @k.wamp said it happened to her “forever” ago, but she saw a video from @amberthenailwhisperer, a nail technician who warned of the same trend and commented. been inspired to share her own story.

@amberthenailwhisperer said UV light can’t get through a pressed nail that isn’t clear. Uncured gel, she said, can lead to an allergy to gel products.

Viewers took to the comments section of @k.wamp’s video to share their thoughts.

“As a nail technician please don’t do this,” one viewer wrote. “That’s how fungi/infections form.”

“Glad to have seen this,” commented another viewer. “I was seriously considering doing this.”

“I’m allergic to gel and I promise you don’t want this,” one viewer wrote. “I’m talking about burning skin, itchy skin, peeling and crackling skin.”

Newsweek contacted @k.wamp for further comment.

Other beauty and self-care articles have already gone viral, including one that involves beauty influencers pumping liquid foundation into a cup of water before scooping it out and applying it to skin.

A woman’s video has gone viral after showing how she uses fruit to create a natural look.

Another post showed a photo of the effects of someone using sunscreen on their face but not their neck.

[ad_2]

newsweek

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button