Skip to content
Wimbledon stripped of ranking points after banning Russian and Belarus players

This year, however, the men’s and women’s professional circuits, as well as the International Tennis Federation (ITF), have chosen to withdraw their ranking points for the Grand Slam event.

The ranking point removal announcements, which were made separately on Friday by the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA), Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) and ITF, follow tournament organizers’ decision to ban Russians and Belarusians to play in this year’s event.

“The position we take is to protect the equal opportunity that WTA players should have to compete as individuals,” said WTA President and CEO Steve Simon. “If we do not take this position, then we are abandoning our fundamental principle and allowing the WTA to become an example to support discrimination based on nationality at other events and in other regions of the world. The WTA will continue to apply its rules to reject such discrimination.”

“Discrimination by individual tournaments is simply not viable on a Tour that operates in over 30 countries,” said an ATP statement.

“We greatly appreciate our long-standing relationship with Wimbledon and the LTA and do not underestimate the difficult decisions to be made in responding to recent UK government guidance. However, we note that these were informal guidelines, not of a warrant, which offered an alternative option that would have left the decision in the hands of individual players competing as neutral athletes through a signed statement Our internal discussions with the affected players actually led us to conclude that it would have been a nicer option for the Tour.

The ITF, announcing it was withdrawing ranking points for the junior and wheelchair events at Wimbledon, said: “This difficult decision has been taken as a protective measure which upholds the principle of open entry to the international competition based on merit and protects the integrity of ITF international tennis competitions. The ITF’s position remains that Russian and Belarusian athletes remain eligible to compete as neutral athletes.”

The AELTC, which is an affiliate of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, said in a statement on Friday that it stood by its decision. Wimbledon organizers said in April that Russians and Belarusians would not be allowed to participate in this year’s tournament.

“As we have previously stated, after careful consideration of various factors and bound to act in accordance with UK Government guidance, we have reached two firm conclusions which have served as the basis for this decision,” the statement said. ‘AELTC. .

He continued: “We were not prepared to take any action that could endanger the personal safety of players or their families. We believe that requiring written statements from every player – and this would apply to all players involved – as a condition of entry in the highly publicized circumstances of Wimbledon would entail significant scrutiny and risk.

“Furthermore, we remain reluctant to allow success or participation in Wimbledon to be used to benefit the propaganda machine of the Russian regime, which, through its tightly controlled state media, has a recognized history of using sporting success to support a triumphant narrative at The Russians.

“We therefore wish to express our deep disappointment at the decisions taken by the ATP, WTA and ITF to remove ranking points for the Championships. We believe that these decisions are disproportionate in the context of the exceptional and extreme circumstances of this situation and position we found ourselves and damaging to all players competing on the Tour.

“We are reviewing our options and reserving our position at this stage. We are also in discussion with our Grand Slam colleagues.”

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.