Skip to content
Will Smith reacts to 10-year Oscars ban


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Will Smith has acknowledged the film academy’s decision to bar him from the Oscars for 10 years.

“I accept and respect the decision of the academy,” the actor said in a statement obtained by Fox News Digital on Friday.

A representative for the 53-year-old, Jada Pinkett Smith, did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment.

On Friday, the academy announced that Smith had been banned from attending the Oscars or any other academy event for 10 years following his slap in the face of presenter Chris Rock at this year’s ceremony. The decision came after a meeting of the academy’s board to discuss a response to Smith’s actions.

WILL SMITH NOT ALLOWED TO ATTEND OSCARS FOR 10 YEARS

Will Smith is banned from the Oscars for 10 years following his slap in the face of presenter Chris Rock.
(Getty Pictures)

“The 94th Academy Awards were meant to be a celebration of the many people in our community who did an incredible job last year. However, those moments were overshadowed by the unacceptable and damaging behavior we saw Mr. Smith exhibit on stage” , the board of governors said in a letter.

“During our TV show, we did not adequately address the situation in the room. For that, we are sorry. This was an opportunity for us to set an example for our guests, viewers and our academic family around the world, and we failed – unprepared for the unprecedented.

“Today the Board of Governors called a meeting to discuss how best to respond to Will Smith’s actions at the Oscars, in addition to accepting his resignation. The Board decided, for a period of 10 years from of April 8, 2022, that Mr. Smith will not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards.

“We would like to express our deepest gratitude to Mr. Rock for keeping his composure under extraordinary circumstances. We would also like to thank our hosts, nominees, presenters and winners for their composure and grace during our television show .

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER

Will Smith reacts to 10-year Oscars ban

Will Smith received his first Oscar for “King Richard” this year.
(AP Photo/Chris Pizzello)

“This action we are taking today in response to Will Smith’s behavior is a step towards a larger goal of protecting the safety of our performers and guests and restoring trust in the academy. We also hope this can begin a time of healing and restoration for all involved and impacted.”

Academy President David Rubin called Friday’s board meeting just days ago. The reunion was originally scheduled for April 18 but was moved due to Smith’s resignation on April 1.

At the time, Rubin informed board members that the purpose of the meeting was to “address possible sanctions for Will Smith in response to his actions during the March 27 Oscars broadcast.”

“Following Mr. Smith’s resignation from membership in the academy on Friday, April 1, suspension or expulsion is no longer possible, and the legally prescribed timeline no longer applies. It is in the interests of all concerned that this be addressed in a timely manner,” read the letter signed by Rubin.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Smith announced his resignation in a statement on April 1, saying he had “betrayed the trust of the academy.”

“I have directly responded to the Academy’s Notice of Disciplinary Hearing and will fully accept all consequences of my conduct. My actions at the 94th Academy Awards were shocking, painful and inexcusable. The list of Those I’ve Hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all who attended, and a global audience at home. I betrayed the trust of the Academy,” said Smith.

Smith added that he “deprived the other nominees and winners” of their chance to celebrate, and said he would accept any further consequences from the board.

“I deprived the other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work,” he said. “I am heartbroken. I want to put the spotlight back on those who deserve recognition for their accomplishments and allow the academy to return to the incredible work it does supporting creativity and the art of filmmaking. I therefore resign from membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and will accept such other consequences as the Board deems appropriate.”

JADA PINKETT SMITH’S EX AUGUST ALSINA RESPONDS TO RUMORS HE WRITTEN TELL-ALL ON ‘ENTANGMENT’

Will Smith reacts to 10-year Oscars ban

Will Smith, left, and Jada Pinkett Smith arrive at the Oscars on March 27, 2022, at the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles.
(AP Photo/John Locher)

“Change takes time and I am committed to doing the work to ensure that I never allow violence to overtake reason again,” Smith added.

Shortly after, Rubin said in a statement that the academy had accepted Smith’s resignation.

Smith slapped Rock after Rock made a joke about Pinkett Smith’s bald head, referencing the 1997 movie “GI Jane,” starring Demi Moore. Pinkett Smith, 50, suffers from alopecia.

“Jada, ‘GI Jane 2,’ I can’t wait to see it,” Rock, 57, said while onstage at the Oscars with the actress.

VIDEO OF WILL SMITH’S FRUSTRATION WITH WIFE JADA PINKETT SMITH RESURFACE AFTER OSCAR SLAP SCANDAL

Will Smith reacts to 10-year Oscars ban

Jada Pinkett Smith once talked about alopecia.
(Getty Pictures)

“Wow, Will Smith just hit me,” Rock said after being slapped by Smith.

“Keep my wife’s name out of your fucking mouth,” Smith said.

When Smith received his best actor award for his role in “King Richard,” he apologized.

“I want to apologize to the academy. I want to apologize to all of my fellow nominees,” Smith said. “It’s a beautiful moment.”

WILL SMITH’S OSCARS SLAP WAS A ‘NIGHTMARE’ FOR HIS FAMILY: REPORT

Will Smith reacts to 10-year Oscars ban

Chris Rock, center, arrives at the Wilbur Theater before a performance on March 30, 2022 in Boston.
(AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)

Smith apologized again in an Instagram post the next day, tagging the comedian.

“Violence in any form is toxic and destructive,” Smith wrote. “My behavior at the Oscars last night was unacceptable and inexcusable. Jokes at my expense are part of the job, but a joke about Jada’s medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally. publicly apologize to you, Chris. I was out of place and wrong. I’m embarrassed and my actions weren’t indicative of the man I want to be. There’s no room for violence in a world of love and kindness.

Rock has been doing stand-up since the Oscars incident. In his first stage appearance since the slap, he told a Boston crowd that he “is still processing what happened.”

“At some point, I’ll talk about this s—, and it’ll be serious, and it’ll be funny,” Rock shared.

Melissa Roberto of Fox News and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.