What’s open and closed on New Year’s Day 2023
Many of us will close out 2022 with celebrations that extend into the wee hours of New Year’s Day.
But when January 1, 2023 begins, we’ll just as likely return to familiar routines and habits – caffeine? — and even add new resolutions, like a morning walk or a healthier diet.
If so, several grocery store chains, drugstores and restaurant chains across the country will be open on January 1, 2023.
But check the opening hours of your local store. Many will have modified hours and will open later or close earlier on New Year’s Day.
Additionally, since January 1, 2023 falls on a Sunday, for most federal employees, Monday, January 2 will be treated as a paid holiday. This means that post offices, government offices and banks will be closed on Monday.
Stop and shop
CVS (Pharmacy hours vary by location)
Walgreens (pharmacies closed on January 1)
Five Below (check for modified store hours)
TJ Maxx (check for modified store hours)
DIY and home goods stores:
Bed, bath and beyond
- USPS: Local post offices will be open on New Year’s Eve. Post offices will be closed January 1 and 2. Mail will not be picked up or delivered.
- FedEx: Ground and express services are closed on January 1. On January 2, the ground service is open but the express service is closed.
- Government offices are closed on January 2.
- Banks: Most banks generally follow the federal holiday schedule. This means that the counters will be closed.
- The New York Stock Exchange closed on January 2
- Costco closed on January 1
- Trader Joe’s closed on January 1
- Aldi closed on January 1
- Sam’s Club closed on January 1