NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The Ukrainian army said on Saturday that Russian forces were withdrawing from Kharkiv.
Ukraine’s general staff said troops were pulling out of the country’s second-largest city and focusing on protecting supply routes.
UKRAINIANS SEEM TO WON BATTLE OF KHARKIV, SAYS US THINK TANK
Kharkiv has been under attack since Russia began its invasion end of February.
Recently, Russia has made additional gains in the eastern Donbass region, according to a senior US defense official – although morale remains an issue.
The fighting continues – after failing to capture the Ukrainian capital – and the Ukrainian military chief of Luhansk province said on Friday that Russian troops had almost complete control of Rubizhne.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Ukrainian forces had also made progress, retaking six towns or villages.
MOSCOW THREATENS TO RESPOND IF NATO MOVES NUK CLOSER TO ITS BORDER
In his nightly video address on Friday night, the leader said “no one today can predict how long [the] the war will last.
“It will unfortunately not only depend on our people, who are already giving their maximum,” Zelenskyy noted. “It will depend on our partners, on European countries, on the whole of the free world.”
President Biden said earlier this month that he was concerned that Russian President Vladimir Putin “has no way out” and will continue his brutal war in an attempt to save face at home.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
According to the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), there were 7,389 civilian casualties in Ukraine, including 3,573 dead and 3,816 injured.
However, the death toll is “thousands higher” than expected, according to a United Nations (UN) official.
Caitlin McFall, Greg Norman and Fox News’ Associated Press contributed to this report.