Skip to content
Thousands march for South Africa’s first Pride since COVID-19


More than 3,000 people took part in South Africa’s first Pride march since the COVID-19 pandemic on Saturday, celebrating the LGBT community and defying a US warning of a possible terror attack in the region.

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa — More than 3,000 people took part in South Africa’s first Pride march since the COVID-19 pandemic on Saturday, celebrating the LGBT community and defying a US warning of a possible terror attack in the region.

The US government warned this week of a possible attack in the Sandton neighborhood of Johannesburg, where the march took place.

The South African government has expressed concern that the United States has not shared enough information to lend credibility to the alleged threat. Police said all security measures have been taken to ensure safety in the area.

Organizers said on Saturday that the march would not be derailed by any form of threat.

“Today was probably a historic event. We decided to go ahead with the march regardless of security and all that,” said Kay Ally, President of Johannesburg PRIDE.

Earlier in the week, the organization said the threat made the march more important.

ABC

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.