Skip to content
The New York Times denounces an American blunder during a drone strike – RT en français

The New York Times is at the origin of a new controversy around the American withdrawal from Afghanistan. According to the daily, the last drone strike carried out during the evacuation of Kabul would have affected an NGO employee and not a jihadist.

the New York Times published an investigation on September 10 challenging the US military’s version of its latest strike in Afghanistan, indicating that it may have killed not a jihadist with the car loaded with explosives, but an NGO worker carrying water cans. In a tweet, one of the daily journalists reveals the last images of this employee before the strike.

The United States destroyed on August 29, in an air strike by drone, a vehicle in Kabul, affirming that “it was loaded with explosives” and ensuring to have foiled an attempted attack by the Islamic State group.

The family of the driver of the vehicle, Ezmarai Ahmadi, told AFP, the day after the strike, that ten people, most of them children, had been killed.

According to the American daily, which is based on images from surveillance cameras and on interviews, the trips deemed suspicious by the American army of Ezmarai Ahmadi on the day of the strike corresponded to an ordinary working day.

The American daily also indicates, on the basis of surveillance camera videos, that the trunk of the car was certainly filled with cans of water that the man was bringing home.

The strike was based on good intelligence and we continue to believe it prevented an imminent threat to the airport

The newspaper also disputes, on the basis of interviews with experts, the version of the American army according to which the strike would have caused the secondary detonation of explosives stored in the trunk of the vehicle.

Pentagon spokesman John Kirby, when asked about the revelations of the New York Times, said the investigation was continuing and assured that “no army in the world” was as keen as that of the United States “to avoid civilian casualties”.

“The strike was based on good intelligence and we continue to believe that it prevented an imminent threat to the airport,” he said in a short statement.

The US attack came days after an IS suicide bomber unleashed a massive explosion at the entrance to Kabul airport, killing nearly 100 Afghans as well as 13 US service personnel. The US military left Afghanistan on August 30 after 20 years of war.

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.