Skip to content
the match will be replayed behind closed doors, penalty points for the Nice club

The Football League (LFP) has decided. Meeting on Wednesday, September 8, its disciplinary committee decided that the Ligue 1 match between Nice and Marseille, interrupted on August 22 after serious incidents, would be replayed on neutral ground and behind closed doors. In total, OGC Nice is sanctioned with three games behind closed doors. A meeting has already been disputed in this context as part of the precautionary measure concerning these incidents.

In addition, the Nice club (which led 1-0 at the time of the facts) receives two penalty points, one of which is suspended.

Marseille player Alvaro Gonzalez receives two game suspension, while teammate Dimitri Payet is suspended with a suspended game

Finally, Pablo Fernandez, the physical trainer of OM who had taken part in the clashes, is suspended from the sidelines, from the referees’ locker room and from all official functions until June 30, 2022.

Read also Nice-Marseille: a member of the OM staff suspended; Nice-Bordeaux behind closed doors on Saturday

General brawl

These sanctions are the consequence of incidents that occurred during the match, on August 22, of the 3e Ligue 1 day between Nice and Marseille. The meeting was interrupted at the 75e minute after OM player Dimitri Payet, who was about to take a corner, had been the target of ultra Nice supporters. Hit in the back by a plastic water bottle, the playmaker returned the projectile to the audience.

Dozens of Nice supporters had then invaded the lawn, causing a general fight between supporters, players of the two teams and members of the management of the two clubs. The Spanish defender Alvaro Gonzalez had also participated in the clashes, in particular by sending a ball into the platform of the ultras.

This Wednesday, Dimitri Payet and Alvaro Gonzalez left, in the early evening, the Parisian hotel where the LFP had auditioned them, followed by their coach Jorge Sampaoli. The three men had arrived shortly before 4 p.m.

The Nice delegation, led in particular by President Jean-Pierre Rivère and trainer Christophe Galtier, had arrived a little earlier before them in this hotel on 15e arrondissement of Paris, where the disciplinary committee met exceptionally to study this exceptional case.

Read also A Nazi salute during the Nice-Marseille match: justice seized

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.