GRANBURY, TX (CBSDFW.COM) – A teacher is out of work and a student is badly burned after a classroom science experiment goes wrong in North Texas.
The incident happened at Granbury Middle School, about 50 miles southwest of Fort Worth.
Interviewed by a CBS 11 News crew, many parents said they had no idea their children would literally be playing with fire.
As things stand, parents are taking sides online. Some defend the teacher, who the district says has quit, others call the experiment – which involved lighting a fire on students’ hands – inexcusable.
Photos posted online show the blisters from the severe burns the student suffered on April 1. Parents claim it happened after a class finished a test early and a teacher asked the students if they wanted to see something ‘cool’.
Video shows a student quickly putting out a fire on his hands, which were covered in disinfectant. If the fire is extinguished quickly, it is not expected to cause burns or be painful. But the student who was burned panicked according to reports.
In a social media post, administrators at the Granbury Independent School District said the teacher in charge no longer worked at the school.
But angry parents were quick to respond with criticism. One said that “putting a flammable substance with your bare hands and igniting it is not a science experiment. It’s just stupid.” Another posted: “There is absolutely NO excuse for putting a child in danger like this!!”
Some parents were more lenient, with a post: “The teacher may not have made the best choice in doing this experiment, but it obviously went perfectly 99 times out of 100. I don’t think that they lose their jobs. [resigned to avoid termination] is the solution.”
Granbury ISD officials said they have referred the matter to law enforcement for further investigation, suggesting it is possible the former teacher could face criminal charges.