Tennis star Denis Shapovalov tests positive for Covid after arriving in Sydney | open from Australia
| Top stories | Local News
Canadian tennis star Denis Shapovalov has announced he tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Sydney ahead of the Australian Open.
The 22-year-old is one of the first foreign players to arrive in Australia and is part of Canada’s squad for the ATP Cup in Sydney from January 1-9, ahead of the Australian Open in Melbourne which kicks off on January 17.
The news comes as fellow Canadian Milos Raonic becomes the latest player to be excluded from the Australian Open and world number one Novak Djokovic is reportedly not traveling to Sydney for the ATP Cup despite being named. in the Serbian team.
Former world number 10 Shapovalov played at the World Tennis Championship exhibition in Abu Dhabi last week, where he beat 20-time major winner Rafa Nadal in the third-place playoff match.
Nadal, Olympic champion Belinda Bencic and Tunisian Ons Jabeur have all tested positive for the virus after playing the tournament.
Shapovalov said he was showing minor symptoms.
“Hello everyone, I just wanted to let you know that when I arrived in Sydney I tested positive for COVID,” Shapovalov tweeted.
All players must return negative tests 72 hours before flying to Australia.
They must also undergo tests upon arrival in Australia and, while awaiting test results, must remain in isolation.
Meanwhile, doubts remain about nine-time champion Djokovic’s participation in the Australian Open after the world number one was reported by Serbian daily Bilic as having withdrawn from the ATP Cup.
Djokovic has been named to the Serbian squad, but the 34-year-old has yet to commit to the Australian Open following the Covid-19 vaccination mandate agreed by Tennis Australia and the Ministry of Health. Victoria’s health.
Djokovic declined to disclose if he was vaccinated, citing privacy concerns.
Australian Open chief Craig Tiley said on Wednesday he was still unsure whether Djokovic would play at the Melbourne Park Major.
Tiley said all Australian Open players and staff will be vaccinated or receive medical exemption granted by a panel of independent experts.
Those demands prevented Djokovic from confirming whether he would bid for a men’s record 21st Grand Slam title and a 10th Australian Open crown.
Organizers of the Australian Open said Raonic had withdrawn from the first grand slam of 2022 as he continued to recover from a heel injury, organizers said.
Raonic injured his thigh in March and returned to the tour after a three-month hiatus. But his 2021 season was cut short due to another heel issue following his first round loss at the Atlanta Open in July.
“Milos Raonic has withdrawn from the # AusOpen as he continues to recover from an injury to Achilles,” Australian Open organizers said on Twitter on Saturday.
The Canadian, who has currently slipped to 70th place, is the latest to be excluded from the Australian Open, with Roger Federer, Stan Wawrinka, Jennifer Brady, Karolína Plíšková, Karolína Muchová, Serena Williams and Bianca Andreescu also excluded in due to injuries.
Breaking News Updates Google News Tennis star Denis Shapovalov tests positive for Covid after arriving in Sydney | open from Australia