Teenagers found dead in New Mexico garage: police

Three New Mexico teenagers have been found dead in a garage in a suspected case of carbon monoxide poisoning, police say.

In a Sunday, February 5 news release, Edgewood Police Department (EPD) Chief of Police Roger Jimenez said officers have launched an investigation into the deaths.

The statement said: “At this time there are no indications of foul play, it appears the cause of death may have been carbon monoxide poisoning as a propane heater was found underway. of use.”

A file photo of a police car. The three teenagers were found dead in a garage.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), at least 420 people die each year from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in the United States.

Carbon monoxide is found in fumes produced by furnaces, kerosene heaters, vehicles “warmed up” in garages, stoves, lanterns, gas stoves, portable generators, or when charcoal and wood are burned.

The police statement added: “We are still trying to notify families and loved ones and our investigation is ongoing. More details will be provided as information unfolds.”

Officers are now working with local school district officials to provide chaplains and counseling for students and families.

“The Edgewood Police Department would like to emphasize to the community the dangers of carbon monoxide and the importance of having carbon monoxide detectors in homes and work spaces where heaters and appliances are used. Carbon monoxide is extremely dangerous, it cannot be seen, smelled, or heard,” the statement continued.

According to the CDC, there are many steps you can take to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning, including:

  • Never leave the engine running in a vehicle parked in an enclosed or partially enclosed space, such as a garage.
  • Never operate a motor vehicle, generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline engine within 20 feet of an open window, door, or vent where exhaust can escape into an enclosed space.
  • Keep vents and ducts clear of debris. Debris can clog vent lines.
  • Check or change the batteries in your CO detector every six months. If you don’t have a battery-powered or battery-backed carbon monoxide detector, buy one soon.
  • Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil or coal-fired appliance serviced annually by a qualified technician.
  • Never use a charcoal grill, hibachi, lantern, or portable camp stove inside a home, tent, or RV.
  • Never operate a generator, pressure washer or any other gasoline engine inside a basement, garage or other enclosed structure, even if the doors or windows are open.
  • If you suspect CO poisoning, call 911 or a medical professional immediately.

Newsweek has contacted the EPD for comment.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button