Teams Spend $ 1 Billion on MLB Day, Union Likely Heading For Lockdown| News Today
Teams Spend $ 1 Billion on MLB Day, Union Likely Heading For Lockdown
| Latest News Headlines | Google News
Major-league teams pledged more than $ 1 billion in one-day wages for the first time on Wednesday, hours before the league locks players out after the collective agreement expires at 11:59 p.m. EST.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM
The Texas Rangers have led the spending madness, signing deals with shortstop Corey Seager for $ 325 million over 10 years and infielder Marcus Semien for $ 175 million over seven years.
Ace Max Scherzer got $ 130 million over three years from the New York Mets, and right-hander Kevin Gausman landed with the Toronto Blue Jays for $ 110 million over five years. Twins center fielder Byron Buxton also finalized a seven-year, $ 100 million contract to stay with Minnesota.
The Tigers were also due to secure a six-year, $ 140 million contract with shortstop Javier Báez.
The 16 deals and tally announced Wednesday totaled $ 1,011,250,000, part of more than $ 1.9 billion in new contacts distributed in the days leading up to the CBA’s expiration.
The union and the league are likely heading into a protracted labor dispute after the average major league salary plummeted on opening day in 2021 for the fourth consecutive season.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Among the other deals concluded on Wednesday:
– Avisail Garcia in Miami, $ 53 million over four years
– LHP Alex Wood in San Francisco, $ 25 million over two years
– INF Eduardo Escobar at the New York Mets, $ 20 million over two years
– INF / OF Leury Garcia at the Chicago White Sox, $ 16.5 million over three years
– C Yan Gomes at the Chicago Cubs, $ 13 million over two years
– RHP Yimi Garcia in Toronto, $ 11 million over two years
– RHP Corey Knebel in Philadelphia, $ 10 million over one year
– RHP Corey Kluber in Tampa Bay, $ 8 million over one year
– RHP Andres Munoz with Seattle, $ 7.5 million over four years
– C Roberto Perez in Pittsburgh, $ 5 million over one year
– C Kevin Plawecki with Boston, $ 2.25 million over one year
Local News Local news Teams Spend $ 1 Billion on MLB Day, Union Likely Heading For Lockdown