Skip to content
Suspect in fatal shooting of subway passenger surrenders to police


A 25-year-old man wanted by New York police in the shooting death of a subway passenger over the weekend turned up in a Chinatown neighborhood on Tuesday afternoon.

Andrew Abdullah was wanted for the murder of Daniel Enriquez, a passenger who was shot by a sniper on Sunday while riding a northbound Q train. Mr Abdullah surrendered more than 72 hours after the unprovoked attack, entering the fifth district accompanied by plainclothes officers. A crowd of around 50 reporters and passers-by watched him climb the steps, dressed in black trousers and a white T-shirt.

Earlier on Tuesday, Police Commissioner Keechant Sewell posted a photo of Mr Abdullah on Twitter. Detectives “will apprehend him, but they need the help of every New Yorker,” she wrote.

Sunday’s shooting was the latest in a string of violent episodes on the subway this year. Just six weeks ago, a gunman opened fire on a rush hour train car in Brooklyn, injuring at least 23 people. In January, a woman, Michelle Go, died after being pushed onto the tracks at Times Square station.

At around 11:40 a.m. on Sunday, a gunman paced the last car of the Q train before firing a single bullet at Mr. Enriquez, 48. As the train crossed the Manhattan Bridge, another passenger dialed 911. Seconds later, when the train pulled into the Canal Street station in Lower Manhattan and the doors opened, the suspect walked over. fled just as officers were descending to the dock.

The shooter then handed his gun to a homeless man outside the station, two law enforcement officials said. Police then recovered a 9mm handgun from nearby scaffolding.

Mr. Enriquez, a Goldman Sachs researcher who was on his way to meet his younger brother for brunch, was rushed to Bellevue Hospital, where he died.

Mr Abdullah had pleaded guilty to attempted possession of a weapon and other charges in 2018. He was released on parole after four months in prison, a spokeswoman for the state corrections department said. He faced new firearms charges in 2020 in Manhattan, according to court records, an ongoing case and was out on bail. In March 2021, Manhattan prosecutors charged him with assault and endangering the welfare of a child.

Ny

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.