Sudanese protesters decry violence as at least 30 people are killed in clashes
More than 30 people have been killed and 100 injured in tribal clashes that began last week between the Hausa and Fung tribes in the southeastern state near the border with Ethiopia, according to Sudanese officials and the United Nations.
Authorities said on Sunday they would step up the security presence in the state and investigate the clashes. A curfew has been declared in two cities.
Protesters in the capital carried placards reading “Stop the civil war”, “The Blue Nile is bleeding” and “Cancel the Juba peace accord”, as they marched towards the presidential palace.
There have been sporadic outbreaks of violence in several parts of Sudan, including eastern coastal regions and western Darfur, despite a national peace agreement signed by some rebel groups in Juba in 2020.
The anti-military movement, which has waged a campaign of protests since a coup in October 2021, has accused the military of stoking internal conflict and failing to protect civilians.
“The continuation of the coup means more deaths as we have seen in Blue Nile, Darfur and elsewhere,” said Mohamed Idris, a 43-year-old protester in Khartoum.
The military leaders said their takeover was necessary to preserve Sudan’s stability amid internal strife and that they were working to strengthen the peace agreement in Darfur and other regions.