Stade de France: mea culpa of Darmanin who changes version and evokes “delinquency”

He had been accused of escaping his responsibilities by accusing the English supporters, now he is changing his tune and emphasizing delinquency. Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin apologized on June 28 to the supporters “who suffered this mismanagement” during the chaos around the Stade de France during the Champions League final at the end of May.

“Could the Stade de France have been better managed? The answer is yes. Do I have some responsibility? The answer is yes”, admitted the minister who beat his guilt early in the morning on RTL.

Focus on the fight against crime

The minister had already apologized on June 1 to a Senate inquiry committee for the disproportionate use of tear gas. His performance that day was the subject of much criticism as he again attributed the chaos to the massive presence of supporters with counterfeit or no tickets while his detractors pointed to the violence of suburban delinquents and illegal immigrants who came en masse around the stadium to rob the supporters and try to fit in to watch the match.

“30,000 to 40,000 supporters”, mainly English, carrying counterfeit tickets or without tickets were present around the Stade de France according to the very controversial initial version of the Minister of the Interior.

This version had been weakened before the Senate in particular by the hearing of a senior executive of UEFA, who had mentioned 2,600 tickets reported to the turnstiles, and made the figures announced by the authorities unlikely. Asked again about the question of tickets, Gérald Darmanin did not dwell on it: “Once again, the question of the State of France is essentially the question of the review of our fight against delinquency”, he said. -he rocks.

I sincerely apologize [auprès de] all those who suffered this mismanagement

The violence of the police, the flaws in the security perimeter and the incompetence of the stewards hastily recruited for this improvised final (which was originally to take place in Saint Petersburg in Russia) had also been widely highlighted.

“I sincerely apologize [auprès de] all those who have suffered from this mismanagement”, he added, in the direction of Liverpool supporters sprayed with tear gas by the police or attacked and robbed (just like Real Madrid supporters) at the end of the match, May 28. “If there is something that has gone wrong at the Stade de France, it is the fight against delinquency,” he said.

No condemnation of Lallement’s actions

Also in the sights of those who demand accountability, the prefect of police Didier Lallement whose Minister of the Interior believes that he “did his job that evening”. He refused to mention a possible dismissal of the senior official, had regard to the “electoral period” in progress. “The question of people will come later, the prefect of police did his job that evening, but it is certain that we have a change of organization to make, that obviously does not mean that we have to take it out on such and such a person,” he said.

He was also pleased that other important matches have since taken place without incident. “I made arrangements that profoundly changed [l’organisation de] the police headquarters around the Stade de France,” he added. Several analysts attribute part of Macronie’s discomfiture in the legislative elections to the Stade de France episode and its turmoil.




RT

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button