Skip to content
Spurs release Joshua Primo amid sexual misconduct allegations: report

A former San Antonio Spurs employee has claimed Josh Primo, now a former Spurs guard, exposed himself in her presence, a person with knowledge of the matter said Saturday night.

The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity as no details had been publicly released by Spurs, Primo or the accuser.

Lawyer Tony Buzbee confirmed to AP that he was hired by “a former contractor” from Spurs. He is the attorney who represented 24 women who sued Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson, then of the Houston Texans, accusing him of sexual assault or harassment.

Watson is serving an 11-game unpaid suspension and was fined $5 million by the NFL.

Primo was dropped by Spurs on Friday in a surprising move, given the 19-year-old was seen as an important part of the team’s future. ESPN, citing sources, reported on Saturday that Spurs parted ways with Primo after “several alleged instances where he exposed himself to women”. The San Antonio Express-News also confirmed that Spurs’ decision followed multiple allegations made against Primo.

There are no pending lawsuits against Primo in Bexar County, Texas, according to online records.

On Friday, Primo released a statement to ESPN saying that he “has sought help to deal with past traumas I have suffered and will now take this time to focus more fully on my mental health treatment. I hope to be able to discuss these issues in the future so that I can help others who have suffered in the same way.I appreciate the privacy at this time.

The Spurs took Primo with the No. 12 pick in the 2021 NBA Draft after spending a year in college in Alabama.

Primo averaged 5.8 points, 2.3 rebounds and 1.6 assists in his rookie season with the Spurs, and 7.0 points, 4.5 assists and 3.3 rebounds in four games with the Spurs this season.

The team had even recently chosen their third-year option, a largely procedural decision that locked in a $4.3 million salary for next season and showed he should remain in Spurs’ plans. He earned $4.1 million that season.

“We hope that in the long term this decision will serve the best interests of the organization and of Joshua,” Spurs CEO RC Buford said when the team waived Primo on Friday. Spurs manager Gregg Popovich did not add details, referring reporters to Buford’s statement and saying “we’ll stick with what we told you”.



The Huffington Gt

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.