Skip to content
Sons Of Boston’s liquor license suspended after bouncer charged with killing Navy veteran – CBS Boston


BOSTON (CBS) — Boston’s licensing board voted unanimously Thursday to suspend Sons of Boston’s liquor license indefinitely, saying “it’s not safe for them to continue operating.”

The license was being reviewed as a bouncer was accused of killing a Marine veteran outside the bar last month.

Alvaro Larrama, a 38-year-old bouncer at Sons of Boston, is charged with murder after police say he stabbed Daniel Martinez, 23, of Illinois, on Union Street on March 19.

In its ruling, the board cited “multiple violations” and a systematic failure by Sons of Boston to provide a safe environment for patrons and follow city protocols, adding that the bar showed a “pattern of negligence”.

“The whole security operation from start to finish was a failure,” council chairwoman Kathleen Joyce said during Thursday’s vote. “The lack of a security plan, the lack of any meaningful training plan in place on March 19, and the lack of management led to serious public safety issues, and now Daniel Martinez is dead. I believe his death was predictable and preventable.

During his testimony before the Licensing Commission on Tuesday, the bar manager revealed that he did not check Larrama’s background. Commissioner Liam Curran called the lack of background checks “willful ignorance.”

Alvaro Larrama in Boston City Court, March 21, 2022. (WBZ-TV)

Bar managers said Larrama had no previous incidents. The bar attorney handed over hours of surveillance video that council members reviewed before their vote.

At Thursday morning’s meeting, the board presented its evidence, saying Larrama was working security with a weapon but had no approval for it.

The video also showed what the board called management’s inability to respond, noting they didn’t call 911 after the stabbings and even saw other employees donating clothes. spare to Larrama before he exits through the back door.

Sons of Boston has had security issues before, and the board said the evidence in that case made its decision clear.

“I believe it is dangerous for them to continue operating. Someone died directly at the hands of their staff. Based on their negligent hiring practices, complete lack of proper training, and recent past reports of violent staff, it should have been foreseeable that an event like this could have occurred,” Joyce said. .

“The lack of an appropriate response, their failure to detain Mr. Larrama or call the police and the video footage which appears to show other staff helping Mr. Larrama change his clothes and leave constitute a serious violation of their duty of care.”

Martinez’s family said they will soon file a civil lawsuit against the bar.

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.