Skip to content
Serena Williams seems to announce that she plans to play at Wimbledon



CNN

Serena Williams appears to have announced that she will return to compete at Wimbledon this year.

The 23-time Grand Slam champion strongly suggested in an Instagram Story video with Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers that she would be competing this summer.

“We talked about my comeback, and he got me excited and prepared for Wimbledon,” Williams said. “I can not wait!”

When Rodgers asked Serena why she wouldn’t be playing the US Open this year, Serena replied, “Wimbledon is before the US Open, I have to play Wimbledon first. Exciting!”

CNN has reached out to Williams’ representation for comment.

Williams, 40, has not played since Wimbledon last year, when she retired in her first-round match against Aliaksandra Sasnovich with a hamstring injury.

At the end of the video, Rodgers pointed to Williams and said, “She’s back.”

Williams is chasing Margaret Court’s record of 24 Grand Slam singles titles. His last Grand Slam victory dates back to the 2017 Australian Open.

She was forced to miss January’s Australian Open on the advice of her medical team, announcing in December that she was not “where I physically need to be to compete”.

The tennis superstar told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour last month that she hoped to play French Open in May if she was physically ready.

Wimbledon is due to start on June 27 and end on July 10 from the All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club.

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.