Sentencing submissions expected in the case of Ont. teenager who pleaded guilty to terrorism charges
| Today Headlines | abc News
Sentencing submissions are expected today in the case of a teenager who pleaded guilty to terrorism-related charges, including possessing explosive materials and advising someone to detonate a bomb.
The Kingston, Ont. teenager, who cannot be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was 16 when he was arrested by RCMP in January 2019 following a information from the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation.
An agreed statement of facts said the teenager unwittingly contacted an FBI undercover agent he believed to be a “lone wolf” terrorist in Virginia, and sent him instructions on how to build a bomb. pressure cooker.
The statement said the teenager also encouraged the officer to plant the bomb in a public place, such as a bar, to kill the “enemies of Allah”.
No bomb was planted, but the statement said a search of the youth’s home found all the materials needed to create one.
The youngster pleaded guilty in 2020 to facilitating terrorist activity, possession of an explosive substance with intent to injure or kill, taking steps to cause an explosion and counseling another person to detonate an explosive device to cause injury or death.
He also admitted to breaching his bail conditions for not wearing a monitoring bracelet.
Last year, Crown prosecutors asked the court to convict the teenager as an adult. The defense, meanwhile, said a three-year prison sentence would be appropriate.
This report from The Canadian Press was first published on January 28, 2022.
News Today World news Sentencing submissions expected in the case of Ont. teenager who pleaded guilty to terrorism charges