Skip to content

The Catalan Dragons inflicted the seventh defeat of the season on Warrington with a peppery second half in Perpignan.

Sam Tomkins returned early from his broken leg to torment Wolves with a dynamic display from the full-back, including eight crucial goal kicks that were decisive in what had been an edgy contest down to three very late.

Warrington had nerves of steel at the start of this game as they held the Dragons 6-6 at half-time, but five second-half tries from Mitch Pearce, Julian Bousquet, Gil Dudson, Fouad Yaha and Arthur Mourgue gave away saw the Dragons worthy victors.

Tomkins was the first to trouble the scoreboard with a ninth-minute penalty after Warrington second rower Oliver Holmes was punished for a high tackle on Mourgue.

But Wolves scrum-half George Williams turned the tide with two breaks which led to winger Connor Wrench scoring the game’s first try in the right corner, Peter Mata’utia on target from the touchline with the conversion to do so 6-2 .

Young French center Matthieu Laguerre quickly crossed the line for the Catalans but referee Liam Moore ruled he hadn’t anchored the ball correctly. However, there was nothing wrong with Tom Davies’ 23rd-minute touchdown after recovering a deft pass from his center Tyrone May’s tackle to level the scores.

It was the introduction of giant prop Sam Kasiano from the bench that really ignited the Dragons as he and fellow substitute Dudson had Warrington on the rack with a series of powerful and punishing runs.

But the Catalans couldn’t turn the pressure into points and the two teams were tied 6-6 at half-time.

The Dragons came out firing after the break with an early penalty from Tomkins but Warrington fought back with a 70-yard break from Wrench, finished with a tackle from Tomkins.

The game was interrupted when Warrington full-back Josh Thewlis needed attention with an apparent injury and the Catalans were then forced to abandon the goal line. Pearce then went high on Thewlis and stepped up Peter Mata’utia to level the scores once again with a penalty.

The Catalans then worked the ball up the other end of the pitch where Pearce sidestepped and twisted over the line, needing video referee evidence to prove he put the ball on the ground , and Tomkins added the conversion to make it 14-8 in the 57th minute. .

Quick guide

How do I sign up for sports news alerts?


  • Download the Guardian app from the iOS App Store on iPhones or the Google Play store on Android phones by searching for ‘The Guardian’.
  • If you already have the Guardian app, make sure you’re using the latest version.
  • In the Guardian app, tap the yellow button in the bottom right, then go to Settings (the gear icon), then Notifications.
  • Enable sports notifications.

Thank you for your opinion.

The Dragons trapped Thewlis in his own end zone to force another drop between the posts and Warrington went further behind until a 65th minute penalty when Jason Clarke was deemed to have interfered during the play of the ball.

Indiscipline cost Warrington again when Tomkins was taken out with a high shot and from the resulting field position the prop Bousquet found space in the line to score from close range. Tomkins’ successful conversion made the lead 22-8 with 10 minutes remaining.

Kasiano then burst through midfield to release Dudson who slid down the line under the posts, Tomkins adding the conversion for 28-8.

Then Kasiano broke away again to place winger Yaha in the left corner, the try making him the club’s all-time leading scorer with 88 touchdowns before Yaha became the supplier for French scrum-half Mourgue who completed the score in the final. minute.

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.