Skip to content
Salman Rushdie striker says he’s ‘surprised’ the perpetrator survived


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Hadi Matar, the attacker accused of stabbing author Salman Rushdie last week, said he was surprised the writer survived the attack.

“When I heard he survived, I was surprised, I guess,” he told the New York Post from prison.

Matar went on to admit that he hadn’t actually read Rushdie’s controversial book, “The Satanic Verses.”

“I read a few pages. I didn’t read everything cover to cover,” he said.

BILL MAHER REACTS TO SALMAN RUSHDIE ATTACK: DON’T COME TO ME WITH ‘ISLAMOPHOBE’ TO CLOSE ISLAM DEBATE

Matar, 24, is charged with attacking Rushdie last Friday but pleaded not guilty on Saturday to attempted second-degree murder and assault. His next court appearance is Friday.

Hadi Matar arrives for arraignment at the Chautauqua County Courthouse in Mayville, New York on Saturday, August 13, 2022.
(AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

Matar’s attorney argued on his behalf at an arraignment in western New York. The suspect appeared in court wearing a black and white jumpsuit and white face mask with his hands cuffed in front of him.

Rushdie remains hospitalized with serious injuries. Fellow author Aatish Taseer tweeted that Rushdie was “off the fan and talking (and joking).” Rushdie’s agent, Andrew Wylie, confirmed this information without giving further details.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“The Satanic Verses” drew death threats after it was published in 1988, with many Muslims considering a dream sequence based on the life of the Prophet Muhammad to be blasphemy, among other objections. Rushdie’s book had already been banned and burned in India, Pakistan and elsewhere before Iranian Grand Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini issued a religious edict, or fatwa, calling for Rushdie’s death in 1989.

Salman Rushdie striker says he’s ‘surprised’ the perpetrator survived

In this still image from video, author Salman Rushdie is carried on a stretcher to a helicopter to be transported to hospital after being attacked during a lecture at the Chautauqua Institution in Chautauqua, New York, on Friday the 12th August 2022.
(AP Photo)

Khomeini died the same year, but the fatwa remains in effect. Iran’s current supreme leader, Ali Khamenei, has never issued his own fatwa to revoke the edict, although Iran in recent years has not focused on the writer.

In Iran’s first public comments on the assault, the country’s foreign ministry spokesman, Nasser Kanaani, told reporters in a briefing that Iran should not be accused of any involvement .

“We in the Salman Rushdie attack incident in the United States do not consider that anyone deserves blame and accusation other than him and his supporters,” Kanaani said. “No one has the right to accuse Iran in this regard.”

Fox News’ Sarah Rumpf and Landon Mion contributed to this report.


Fox Gt

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.