Skip to content
Sacramento shooting: multiple shooters, 6 dead;  stolen weapon found at the scene


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Six people were shot and killed and another dozen were injured when multiple gunmen opened fire in downtown Sacramento as people exited bars and restaurants around 2 a.m. Sunday morning, officials said .

“We know a big fight took place just before the shooting and we’ve confirmed there were multiple shooters,” Sacramento Police Chief Kathy Lester said at a news conference Sunday after -midday.

Three of the deceased victims are women and the other three are men.

Investigators are now combing through hundreds of pieces of evidence across multiple city blocks, including surveillance videos and images taken by members of the public.

The Sacramento Police Department said it is aware of at least one video on social media that appears to show a fight before the shooting and encouraged members of the public to submit all the evidence they have.

“We have video from our police camera at 10th and K Street which captured portions of the shooting and we have received several videos and tips from members of the public. We are deeply grateful for this and I want to thank the public for their help,” Chief Lester said Sunday.

NEWSOM BLAMES GUNS FOR SACRAMENTO MASS SHOOTING

A stolen handgun was found at the scene. No suspect is in custody at this time.

“I’m confident that Chief Lester and the hard-working men and women in the police department will find out who was responsible,” Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg said Sunday.

Officials from Mayor Steinberg to Governor Gavin Newsom called for tougher gun laws in the wake of the shooting.

“What we know at this point is that another shooting has resulted in numerous casualties, leaving families with lost loved ones, multiple people injured and a grieving community,” Newsom said in a statement Sunday morning. . “The scourge of gun violence continues to be a crisis in our country, and we must resolve to end this carnage.”

It was the second mass shooting in the Californian capital this year. On February 28, David Mora, 39, shot and killed his three daughters, their chaperone and himself during a supervised visitation to a church, officials said.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

There were 55 murders in Sacramento in 2021, a 31% increase from 2020, according to data from the Sacramento Police Department. The city also saw a 30% increase in rapes and a 27% increase in motor vehicle thefts.

It was the deadliest year for Sacramento since 2006, when 57 people were murdered, reports the Sacramento Bee.

Homicides jumped 17% last year in four of California’s major cities – Los Angeles, Oakland, San Diego and San Francisco – according to a preliminary analysis of data from the Public Policy Institute of California.



Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.