Russian Mercenary Group’s HQ Destroyed in Another Putin Hit – Report
A Sunday report from Ukraine revealed that the headquarters of a large group of Russian mercenaries had been heavily damaged in an attack, inflicting another setback to Russian President Vladimir’s increasingly beleaguered invasion. Cheese fries.
The report came out of the town of Kadiivka in the Luhansk region, where the Wagner mercenary group had its headquarters in a hotel. Luhansk Governor Serhiy Haidai said the hotel was hit by Ukrainian forces, with heavy casualties suffered by the group’s private military contractors (PMCs). Half of the contractors are expected to die as a result of the attack, according to the governor.
According to a BBC report, the Wagner Group is a state-sponsored mercenary group that takes orders from the Kremlin and has been accused of numerous war crimes and abuses. Over the years, he has been deployed to theaters of war such as Crimea, Syria, Libya, Mali and the Central African Republic.
Yevgeny Prigozhin, a close ally of Putin and the Russian oligarch in charge of Wagner, confirmed following the attack that neither he nor his son, Pavel, were present at the hotel.
Newsweek was unable to independently confirm the details of the report and has contacted Russian officials for comment.
Luhansk is the easternmost region of Ukraine and shares a long border with Russia. Along with the Donetsk region, it forms the largest region in Donbass which was the centerpiece of the invasion, with the Kremlin claiming that ethnic Russians were persecuted in the region, based on dubious evidence. The Donbass region and two others were officially annexed by Russia in late September, although these claims remain largely unrecognized internationally.
The conflict in Ukraine has intensified in recent weeks, with Russian strikes hitting southern cities like Odessa, leaving residents without power for long periods at the start of the winter season.
On Saturday, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky confirmed in a statement that around 1.5 million residents of Odessa and surrounding areas were without power following a nighttime attack by Russian forces. Despite this setback, the statement also said that the majority of Iranian drones used to carry out the attack were shot down.
“In total, Russian terrorists used 15 Shahed drones against Odessa,” the statement said. “During a Saturday night. This is the true attitude of Russia towards Odessa, towards the people of Odessa – deliberate intimidation, deliberate attempt to wreak havoc on the city. Our heavenly defenders succeeded in bringing down 10 out of 15 drones. Well done!”
Although timelines for Zelensky and other Ukrainian officials differ, it is widely expected that repairs to the region’s power grid will take longer than usual due to the intensity of Moscow’s attacks.