NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
It was a tough day for the New England Patriots offense in Miami on Sunday – they scored just one touchdown, by running back Ty Montgomery, who is now on IR.
But arguably no Patriot was tougher than wide receiver Kendrick Bourne, who played just two snaps in the 20-7 loss to the Miami Dolphins.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE AT FOXNEWS.COM
Bourne was the team’s No. 2 receiver last year behind Jakobi Meyers, but apparently the Pats didn’t realize that.
Or did they? In one of his snaps, he got a 41-yard catch from sophomore quarterback Mac Jones, albeit in bad weather.
Nevertheless, owner Robert Kraft took notice – and was apparently not happy.
“That’s what I understood, I wasn’t told directly, but that’s what I gleaned: Robert Kraft noticed it, Robert Kraft made his opinion known, and at the In the future, I think Kendrick Bourne will have a bigger role,” said Tom Curran of NBC Sports Boston. told WEEI’s “Gresh & Keefe”.
TUA TAGOVAILOA LEADS DOLPHINS TO WIN IN OPENING VS. PATRIOTS
Bourne is apparently in the doghouse because he missed a preseason meeting, Curran noted. He’s also not happy with the natural decline in his role, with the Pats looking to use two tight ends more frequently — they also brought in DeVante Parker (who had just two targets on Sunday) in the offseason, and Bourne isn’t exactly getting along with Matt Patricia, who joined the team in 2021 as senior football adviser and is now calling the games.
Bourne caught 55 passes last year, including five for touchdowns, for 800 yards, but the team’s offensive coordinator at the time, Josh McDaniels, is now the head coach of the Las Vegas Raiders. Patricia and Joe Judge took the reins of the attack. (Judge was fired as head coach of the New York Giants in January after a brutal 4-13 season.)
Meyers had a team-best six targets on Sunday, while Nelson Agholor followed with five. Jonnu Smith and Montgomery had four each, while Hunter Henry and Damien Harris were both targeted three times.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Bourne is in the second season of a three-year, $15 million contract.