Skip to content
Prince Harry says he warned Twitter CEO of ‘coup’ ahead of US Capitol attack

 | Local News

Prince Harry says he warned Twitter CEO of ‘coup’ ahead of US Capitol attack

| Local News | Local News

Prince Harry said he warned the CEO of Twitter before the attack on the U.S. Capitol that his social media platform was being used to stage a coup.

The Duke of Sussex was speaking at Wired’s RE: WIRED 2021 conference on a panel discussing misinformation and said the issue predates social media.

He said he warned Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey that the social media giant was “authorizing a coup” a day before the January 6 riots.

When asked if he spoke to Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg or Twitter CEO Dorsey, Harry said he warned the latter that his website was facilitating a coup on the eve of the attack.

He said: “Jack and I were emailing each other before January 6 when I warned him that his platform allowed a coup to be staged. This email was sent the day before. And then it happened and I haven’t heard from him since.

A group of Donald Trump supporters stormed the United States Capitol in Washington DC for claiming the presidential election was rigged and the role social media giants played in activating the attack is under investigation.

Harry, who was listed as Archewell’s co-founder at the RE: WIRED summit, works at the Aspen Institute think tank and studies misinformation and misinformation in the media.

The 37-year-old, who lives in Southern California with Meghan and the couple’s two children, said the internet is “defined by hate, division and lies”.

“It can’t be fair,” he told the panel. “Especially for all those who have children, we allow this future to be defined by the here and now. By exactly what is greed, profit and growth.

“I hope that as human beings, as individuals with the capacity for choice and decision making, they would care more about people now, about people’s safety but also about what it means for Internet, free Internet but also what it means for the next generation and the generation after this and this and this and this.

In his latest show to the UK press, Harry invoked the memory of his mother, Diana, Princess of Wales and again said his wife, the Duchess of Sussex, was receiving similar treatment.

He said: “They don’t report the news, they create it and they have managed to turn factual information into opinion gossip with devastating consequences for the country.

“So I know the story too well. I lost my mother to this self-made rage and I’m obviously determined not to lose the mother of my children to the same.

Harry nodded at comments he made on a mental health series he appeared in earlier this year and said “they won’t stop until she’s dead” – a reference to Meghan.

He added: “It was more of a warning, not a challenge.”

Harry said “the extent of the disinformation is now terrifying” and warned that families were “devastated” by the problem.

When asked if users should delete their social media accounts, Harry noted that he and Meghan are not on any platform and will not return until changes are made.

He said that it “just isn’t true” that the challenge of disinformation “is too big to be solved, it’s too big to be solved”.

The Duke has said from his own experience that he and his wife are targeted by a small group of accounts.

He said: “Over 70% of hate speech against my wife on Twitter could be attributed to less than 50 accounts.”

Megxit – a word used to describe the couple’s departure from royal duties – is a “misogynistic term” that was coined by an online troll before coming into common use, Harry said.


Breaking News Updates abc News Prince Harry says he warned Twitter CEO of ‘coup’ ahead of US Capitol attack

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.