NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Prince Andrew can’t seem to step away from the spotlight.
The Duke of York’s ex-wife, Sarah Ferguson, shared a series of Instagram posts on behalf of the royal using her banned title ‘Her Royal Highness’ before it was deleted hours later.
In the post, the 62-year-old reflects on the 40th anniversary of his departure to serve in the Falklands War with the Royal Navy. During this time, Andrew flew missions as a Sea King helicopter pilot. In the since-deleted post, the son of Queen Elizabeth II said he entered the war “full of bravado” and returned “a changed man”.
The post was “written by HRH The Duke of York”, which raised some eyebrows. In January, the Queen stripped Andrew of his military affiliations and royal patronages following his legal battle with Jeffrey Epstein accuser Virginia Roberts Giuffre.
PRINCE ANDREW BELIEVES ‘HE HAS A FUTURE’ AMID SEXUAL ABUSE SETTLEMENT, EXPERT CLAIMS: ‘HE IS NOT GOING QUIETLY’
While Andrew would retain his title as Duke, while retaining his place in the line of succession to the throne, he can no longer use “His Royal Highness” in any official capacity.
Shortly after the post was posted, it was edited to drop “HRH” before Andrew’s Duke of York title. The posts were later deleted completely.
Buckingham Palace representatives did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment. A spokesperson for Ferguson, 62, had no comment.
The post, which included a throwback photo of Andrew in uniform, featured a message that read: ‘As I sit here at my desk on this cool, crisp spring morning thinking back to April 1982, I tried to thinking about what was going through my mind as we left Portsmouth rounding the flight deck of HMS INVINCIBLE.”
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER
“So as I look back on a day when a young man went to war full of bravado, I came back a changed man,” the note continues. “I put aside childish things and false bravado and made a man fully aware of human frailty and suffering.”
Andrew and Ferguson married in 1986. They broke up in 1996, but kept a close relationship raising their two daughters: Princess Beatrice, 33, and Princess Eugenie, 32.
On March 29, Andrew accompanied the Queen, 95, for a service of thanksgiving in honor of her late father, Prince Philip. The reigning monarch’s choice of escort was seen as support for his son after settling a lawsuit related to his relationship with the convicted sex offender.
Andrew’s role underscored that he is still a member of the royal family, even after the scandal rocked the palace.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
“It was the Queen endorsing Andrew after paying millions to a woman he says he has no recollection of ever meeting,” royal analyst Peter Hunt wrote on Twitter. “Either Charles and William did not intervene, or they did and failed to prevent the prince from playing such a prominent role at his father’s memorial service.”
Andrew strenuously denied Giuffre’s allegations after she sued him. She has accused the British royal family of sexually assaulting her while traveling with Epstein in 2001, when she was 17.
Giuffre, 38, reached an agreement with Andrew after the judge rejected the prince’s bid to have the trial dismissed earlier this year.
In a letter to the judge from Giuffre’s lawyer, David Boies, a statement was included which read, in part: “Prince Andrew intends to make a substantial donation to Mrs Giuffre’s charity to support the rights of victims Prince Andrew never intended to slander Ms Giuffre’s character, and he accepts that she suffered both as a proven victim of abuse and as a result of public attacks unjust.”
PRINCE ANDREW WILL NEVER BE RESTORED TO ‘BALCONY POSITION’ AFTER SEX ABUSE SETTLEMENT, EXPERT SAYS
According to the statement, Andrew acknowledged that Epstein trafficked “countless young girls” over many years and said the prince “regrets his association with Epstein and commends the bravery of Ms Giuffre and other survivors who defended and defended by others”.
He also pledged to support the victims of sex trafficking as part of the expression of his regret.
Giuffre claimed she met Andrew when she traveled frequently with Epstein between 2000 and 2002, when her lawyers claimed she was “on call for Epstein for sexual purposes” and was “loaned to other powerful men”, including Andrew.
Her lawsuit said she suffered significant emotional and psychological distress and harm. She claimed to have had sex with Andrew three times: in London on a trip in 2001, at Epstein’s New York mansion when she was 17, and in the Virgin Islands when she was 18 years.
PRINCE ANDREW IS ANNIHILATED BY THE UK PRESS AFTER SEXUAL ABUSE CASE SETTLEMENT: ‘HIS LATEST DISGRANCE’
Andrew has repeatedly denied Giuffre’s claims and said he does not recall ever meeting her, although a photograph of Giuffre and Andrew together in a London townhouse, his arm around her stomach naked, was included in Giuffre’s lawsuit against him.
Inconsistencies in her statements over the years that would have been pointed out by Andrew’s lawyers at trial may have motivated her, in part, to settle, although she explained them as innocent mistakes that occurred during recalling traumatic events years later.
Andrew has spent years wrestling with concerns over his ties to Epstein, the American financier who killed himself aged 66 in 2019 in a federal dungeon in Manhattan while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges. Epstein’s longtime girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell was found guilty of related charges last month.
A settlement of the Andrew lawsuit would follow agreements made by Giuffre years ago to resolve separate lawsuits against Maxwell and Epstein. It was recently revealed that Epstein settled for $500,000.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.