Police identify suspect and victims in Haltom City shooting that left 2 dead and 4 injured


HALTOM CITY, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – Police have released new information about the shooting that left two civilians dead, another injured and three officers wounded Saturday night in Haltom City.

Haltom City police told a news conference on Sunday that sometime before 6.45pm the suspect, who was identified as 28-year-old Edward Freyman, shot and killed two victims. They have been identified as Collin Davis, 33, and Amber Tsai, 32.

An elderly woman was also injured and called 911 around 6:45 p.m. from a house in the 5700 block of Diamond Oak Street.

As three uniformed officers approached the residence, the suspect began shooting at them. Rapid bursts of gunfire could be heard on surveillance camera video as officers fell to the ground and returned fire.

The injured officers have been identified as Corporal Zachary Taylor, Officer Timothy Barton and Officer Jose Avila. Corporal Taylor and Officer Avila remain hospitalized. Constable Barton was released from hospital overnight after being treated.


Alexis Wainwright/CBSDFW.com

Several other officers quickly intervened to help, and the suspect apparently fled out the back of the house, jumping the fences as he headed south. Police said Freyman did not shoot anyone else after he fled the residence.

As officers from other law enforcement agencies joined the manhunt for Freyman, Haltom City Police and the Fort Worth Emergency Management Office asked residents of the area near Denton Highway and Glenview to stay indoors and shelter in place.

Police at the scene in Haltom City as officers search for a shooting suspect.

Nick Starling/CBSDFW.com

Freyman was then found dead less than an hour later in the 3900 block of Golden Oaks with a rifle and handgun near his body. Police credited public reports and Ring camera footage with helping to quickly locate the suspect.

Detectives found in their preliminary investigation that Freyman likely died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, but the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office has yet to determine the official cause of death. It is not yet known whether the suspect was hit by police fire.

So far, police don’t know what caused or led to the shooting or the exact relationship of everyone involved, but do know that the victims and the suspect all knew each other. They also denied that the shooting was linked to any other crimes, contrary to some early reports.

It has not been confirmed if Freyman has a criminal history, but a spokesperson for the Haltom City Police Department said he believed officers had been called to the home in the past.

Haltom City Mayor Dr An Truong thanked law enforcement for preventing any further loss of life, medical and fire services for their assistance and the public for their prayers and support . He said he had no answers on how to stop the gun violence, but stressed that the community is united in respect and love.

Haltom City Police Chief Cody Phillips thanked the FBI, ATF, US Marshall’s Office, Texas DPS, Tarrant County Sheriff, Tarrant County Constable, North Richland Hills Fire, Watauga Fire, MedStar and the Haltom City Citizens’ Emergency Response Team, as well as the Grapevine, Mansfield, Euless, Bedford and Hurst Police Departments for their assistance.

Phillips also thanked the Haltom City Fire Department and the Richland Hills, North Richland Hills and Watauga Police Departments for their quick response.

The investigation has now been turned over to the Texas Rangers, following standard protocol for shootings involving officers.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button