Plans for Another ‘Freedom Convoy’ to Canada Abandoned
OTTAWA, Canada — Plans to hold a rehearsal of the “Freedom Convoy” in the Canadian city of Winnipeg have been canceled by one of the anti-government protest groups.
Canada Unity, one of the groups behind the protesters who descended on the capital Ottawa last year, made the announcement on Monday.
“Canada Unity’s Official Freedom 2.0 Convoy Reunion, scheduled for February 17-20, 2023, is officially receiving an ‘out of order’ 10-7,” James Bauder wrote on the group’s Facebook page.
Bauder was among dozens of people arrested in February 2022 during the first convoy. He faces charges of mischief and disobeying court orders and police. One of the conditions of his bail prevents him from traveling to downtown Ottawa.
In the weeks leading up to the first protest in Ottawa, Bauder drafted a “memorandum of understanding” and attempted to deliver it to Governor General Mary Simon. He asked her and all sitting senators to sign an agreement that would overthrow the government and make Simon, senators, Bauder, his wife Sandra, and another man the official Canadian government.
They would then order all other levels of government to end all COVID-19 restrictions and reinstate workers who were suspended or fired for not being vaccinated.
Organizers said Winnipeg was chosen for this year’s event because it is in the center of the country. They said it would be a “multi-day, peaceful assembly”, with speeches, ceremonies, events and guest speakers.
The initial convoy blocked several areas around Parliament Hill for three weeks. The protests have also closed at least four border crossings elsewhere in the country.
The lockdowns prompted the federal government’s decision to invoke the Emergencies Act for the first time.
Bauder, who founded Canada Unity, said in December he would bring a four-day event back to Ottawa, hosting it at an undisclosed location outside the city and visiting Parliament Hill daily. . After Ottawa police indicated they would have zero tolerance for such an event, Bauder said he would move it to Winnipeg instead.
He has now canceled that too.
Bauder said he fears he or others could be charged under Ontario’s new Bill 100, which passed last year after the convoy’s initial protests.