Skip to content
New York Halloween party ends in horror as a man was shot in the back and a woman was injured

A shooting at an all-night Halloween party left a man dead and a woman injured in New York City early Sunday morning, police say.

A New York Police Department (NYPD) spokesperson said Newsweek On Sunday afternoon, police responded to a 911 call at 6:21 a.m. after receiving a report that a man had been shot.

Upon arrival, NYPD officers found a 28-year-old man who was shot in the back and pronounced dead at the scene, while a 51-year-old woman was shot in her left elbow. She is expected to survive her injuries and was transferred to a local hospital where she was listed in stable condition.

No arrests were made and no details were released about the motive for the shooting and whether the suspect(s) knew the victims. However, the NYPD is still investigating the fatal incident. Authorities have withheld the name of the deceased victim pending proper notification from the family.

Above, a parked NYPD car is seen behind a police warning sign. A shooting at an all-night Halloween party left a man dead and a woman injured in New York City early Sunday morning, police say.
Getty Images

The shooting occurred inside a rental space on Atlantic Avenue near Grand Avenue in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, on New York Daily News reported.

Past Halloween Shoots

The party unfortunately proved deadly for some.

Last year, a shooting at a Halloween party in Texarkana, Texas, left a 20-year-old man dead and nine injured, police say. The shooting happened at a party held inside Octavia’s event center with at least “a few hundred people” in attendance.

When the police arrived, “they encountered a large number of people fleeing the building and several inside with gunshot wounds”.

A Texarkana Texas Police Department spokesperson said Newsweek at the time Keuntae McElroy, 21, a local resident, was arrested for the shooting and charged with aggravated assault.

“They [the police] has been looking for him ever since, contacting several of his family and friends. McElroy finally turned himself in late this morning and was arrested,” the spokesperson said in an emailed statement.

In a separate incident last year, a 13-year-old boy was shot and killed and another was injured during a sleight of hand in Indiana after several men opened fire on them and their friends.

One of the cheaters told police he had a verbal argument with a man about 30 to 45 minutes before the shooting. The man had “threatened to take a .38 and shoot them,” according to a court document.

Police have arrested 23-year-old gunman Desmond Crews, who has been charged with murder and attempted murder. Officers were able to catch the shooter after the father of one of the cheaters chased down Crews.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.