New COVID-19 restrictions for Ontario considered by Doug Ford | News Today

New COVID-19 restrictions for Ontario considered by Doug Ford

| Latest News Headlines | News Today

Doug Ford’s government plans to introduce stricter COVID-19 restrictions as Ontario continues to see new daily record cases.

Sources told CTV News Toronto on Sunday that Premier Doug Ford had met with his cabinet to discuss possible measures to preserve hospital capacity and keep schools open amid the spread of the Omicron variant.

New restrictions being considered include banning indoor dining, lowering the meeting limits indoors (from 10 to 5 people and they should be fully vaccinated) and outdoors, and reducing 50% capacity for essential retail and 25% for non-essential retail, sources said.

The government, according to sources, is also considering limiting gyms and personal care services as well as banquet halls and weddings.

In addition, the province is considering canceling paid events.

If the measures are approved, the government plans to implement them as early as Wednesday and will be in place for three weeks before they are reassessed, sources said.

The cabinet meeting is being held the same day Ontario reported more than 16,000 new cases of COVID-19. On Saturday, the province set a record for the number of new daily infections with more than 18,000.

Officials said that due to limitations in testing, the numbers are underestimated.

Colin Furness, an infection control epidemiologist, told CTV News Channel on Sunday evening that the proposed restrictions should have been implemented last month.

“We needed some of them in December and I think that would have actually really kept things covered. Now those restrictions are kind of only going to solve the biggest problem we have – an unbelievably drivetrain. out of control right now, ”Furness said.

“So, trying to deal with the virus with capacity limits, I don’t think it’s going to accomplish much. At the same time, I know people don’t want proper shutdowns, which would be necessary. . So we are in a pretty difficult situation. “


Today Headlines News Today New COVID-19 restrictions for Ontario considered by Doug Ford

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button