Skip to content
Neighbor rescues man in wheelchair from burning backyard


CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. (WSMV) – Fire crews at two Clarksville stations responded to a house fire that nearly killed a disabled man early Wednesday morning.

According to Clarksville Fire Rescue, the call for the fire came just after midnight Wednesday. A back room on Davis Drive was covered in flames and thick smoke.

Charles Harris, 60, says his life erupted before his eyes early Wednesday morning. He found himself surrounded by flames shortly after a cigar caught fire in his home.

“Every morning when I wake up, I thank God for another day,” Harris said.

When he tried to escape the fire, his wheelchair got stuck in the doorway.

Anthony Hinderliter was sitting outside in his car playing guitar and saw the smoke. Hinderliter says he felt uneasy before he heard Harris’ call for help.

“I just knew it was weirdly gray and dark, but the next time I looked up you could see it billowing over there,” Hinderliter said, Harris was hiding behind thick smoke with flames at the top. above his head.

“It’s just…I didn’t think I just ran. It’s really hard to explain,” Hinderliter said. “Either he was getting out of there or none of us were getting out of there.”

WSMV Clarksville House Fire(CFR)

Harris lost almost everything in the fire. All he has is $5, a box containing some of his love affairs and his life.

“It’s not as bad as it looks because right now it’s looking pretty bad, but it’s going to be okay,” Harris said.

Harris says as he works to rebuild his life. Hinderliter has set up a GoFundMe to help buy the things Harris needs

Harris says if anyone would like to donate essentials, you can reach them at: (931) 217-0666

Copyright 2022 WSMV. All rights reserved.

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.