Mirage hotel in Las Vegas was locked down and one person was found dead in a shooting in a hotel room: police | Today Headlines

Top stories | Local News


  • The Las Vegas Mirage has been locked down after a shooting was reported in a hotel room.

  • Las Vegas police said one person was found dead.

  • Videos from the scene showed parts of the hotel locked and officers moving around the premises.

The Mirage Hotel in Las Vegas went into receivership on Thursday night after reports emerged of a shooting in a hotel room.

The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department wrote in a tweet that he was investigating a shooting and that one person had been pronounced dead.

“We are investigating a shooting in a hotel room at the Mirage. One person has been pronounced dead,” the department wrote. “This is an active investigation and we will provide more information as it becomes available. Please avoid the area.”

Hotel guest Eileen De La Cruz told Insider she saw “security running through the casino” around 8 p.m. and “thought nothing of it.”

“Then we tried to walk to the strip and they wouldn’t let us out. We asked what was going on, they didn’t say anything. There were never any announcements asking us to stay in our rooms or whatever,” she said.

She told Insider that she saw a stretcher being brought in, but didn’t see anyone leave on it.

At press time, it was unclear whether the lockdown had been lifted.

Ronald Hohmann, who was at the Mirage at the time of the incident, posted a video on Twitter showing a group of uniformed officers moving around the premises.

Another video from the scene appeared to show a group of law enforcement officers moving through the premises.

Photos and videos from the scene showed crowds of people being held near one of the hotel’s entrances.

NPR’s director of digital news, Saeed Ahmed, reported that access to the second and eighth floors had been blocked, with staff citing an ongoing investigation.

Videos from the scene also showed police cars parked outside the hotel premises.

8 News Now anchor Sasha Loftis reported at 11pm – around two hours after the news of the lockdown first emerged – that the crime scene tape in front of The Mirage had been removed and guests were allowed to return.

Representatives for The Mirage did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Insider.

This is a developing story. Please check for updates.

Read the original Insider article



Top Stories Today Headlines

Yahoo

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button