Major US indices close mixed with Dow Industrial Average up, while S&P, NASDAQ and Russell 2000 all down
- NASDAQ and S&P are down for the third time in four trading days
- S&P and NASDAQ post first weekly loss in four weeks
- All three major indexes closed lower for the week. Russell 2000 also lower
- transport on track for worst week since October 20
- NASDAQ down almost 4% the week the final figures are posted
A look at the final figures from the major indexes shows:
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 137.55 points or 0.4% to 34721.11.
- The S&P index fell -11.93 points or -0.27% to 4488.27
- The NASDAQ index fell -186.29 points or -1.34% to 13711.01
- Russell 2000 fell -15.23 points or -0.76% to 1994.56
For the trading week:
- Dow Industrial Average, -0.28%
- S&P index, -1.2%
- NASDAQ index, -3.86%
- Russell 2000 – 4.68%
For the S&P index, it closed below its 200-day moving average currently at 4492.89 (green line on the chart below). On Wednesday, the price closed below this moving average, but bounced above it yesterday before heading back down today.
So overall the market is saying it’s a little uncertain about the direction, but with the price below the 100-day moving average, the sellers are in control a bit better.