Skip to content
Los Angeles home robbery suspect arrested after being released from jail days earlier


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Investigations into a series of armed robberies in downtown Los Angeles have resulted in the arrest of three suspects, including a suspect who has already been arrested three times this year before being later released on the streets and allowed to repeat the alleged crimes.

Matthew Adams, 18, was detained for the fourth time this year after allegedly attacking two UCLA students outside a residence hall, stealing two expensive watches and an iPhone worth more than $145,000, the police department said. of Los Angeles in a statement.

Adams is also believed to be in connection with a series of at least four other home robberies – where an assailant follows a victim from a public place before attacking them in a more private location – where he and d ‘Other assailants followed people leaving high-end Hollywood-area restaurants and clubs, back to their apartments or hotels, police said.

THEFTS IN LOS ANGELES INVOLVING FIREARMS HAVE RISED 44% AND BECOME MORE VIOLENT, SAYS POLICE CHIEF

Two other men, Eric Wilson and Jayon Sparks, were also arrested alongside Adams in connection with the same crimes, police said. Several other unidentified suspects remain at large, Fox 11 reported.

In one incident, Adams and an unidentified suspect followed two male victims, both of whom were from out of the country, from a nightclub to their hotel room. Once at the residence, the suspects robbed the victims of a high-end watch and other possessions before fleeing.

In another incident later that same week, Adams, Sparks and other assailants followed two men from a nightclub to an area where they were getting food. The suspects then attacked and robbed the victims of a watch, jewelry and cash before fleeing, police said.

On March 24, LAPD officers arrested and booked Wilson and Sparks in connection with the robberies and, after Metropolitan Division officers obtained a warrant, officers searching their apartment found weapons, bullets and stolen items, they said.

Wilson was charged with one count of possession of a firearm while Sparks was charged with two counts of robbery and one count of possession of a firearm, the LAPD said.

On March 31, Adams was arrested at a traffic stop and charged with one count of first-degree robbery and six counts of second-degree robbery, and two weapon enhancements. fire, for crimes committed between January 7 and March 30, the police mentioned.

LOS ANGELES DA GASCON GIVES ‘TIPS’ ON HOW TO AVOID AUTO THIEVES AMID CRIME WAVE

If convicted, the 18-year-old suspect faces more than 20 years in state prison, the Los Angeles Police Department said.

Adams’ arrest was particularly notable because he had previously been arrested on Jan. 9, Jan. 27 and Feb. 21, and was released each time, before committing these additional robberies, the LAPD said.

On January 9, Adams was arrested for his involvement in the robbery of a high-end jewelry store two days prior. He later posted bail.

Los Angeles home robbery suspect arrested after being released from jail days earlier

Los Angeles Police Department Chief Michel Moore speaks during a press conference at LAPD headquarters in Los Angeles. On Tuesday, Moore told police commissioners that homicides slowed in January compared to the same period in 2021.
(AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

On January 27, Adams was arrested and charged with carrying a concealed weapon, but was later released.

On February 21, Adams was arrested again for carrying a concealed weapon. He was released again.

LAPD Chief Michel Moore attributed lenient detention protocols, which allow repeat offenders to be released to the streets, to new policies passed under Los Angeles County Attorney George Gascón.

Los Angeles home robbery suspect arrested after being released from jail days earlier

Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon speaks during a press conference, December 8, 2021, in Los Angeles, California.
(Photo by Robyn Beck/AFP) (Photo by ROBYN BECK/AFP via Getty Images)

Moore has repeatedly called for further sentencing improvements, which he says would keep repeat offenders locked up, and renewed those calls at a Police Commission meeting on Tuesday.

“Today we see that the use of enhancements has been greatly reduced,” the Los Angeles chief said, Patch reported. “I think this is inconsistent with the underlying importance of these enhancements in deterring others from engaging in serious violent crime with the use of a firearm.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“While I appreciate the documents that have been obtained, I am disappointed that the full weight of existing laws and the support of our district attorney and the court to hold this individual accountable and accountable and keep him away from the community has been missed,” Moore added, according to the report.

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.