Live updates: London prepares for 1 million funeral visitors

[ad_1]

LONDON — London’s transport authority said it was preparing for around 1 million people to visit the British capital on Monday for the state funeral of Queen Elizabeth II.

Transport chief for London Andy Byford said on Sunday the capital had seen “a huge number of additional passengers” since the Queen’s death on September 8. But he said demand would “climb” on Monday.

Across the country, some 250 additional rail services will run, including night trains. Peter Hendy, chairman of Network Rail, said Monday would see “the biggest public transport operation since the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games”.

More than 100 flights from Heathrow Airport will be canceled to prevent aircraft noise from disrupting the funeral at Westminster Abbey on Monday morning and the Queen’s burial service at Windsor Castle afterwards.

West London Airport said 15% of its 1,200 flights due to take off or land on Monday will be disrupted.

———

KEY DEVELOPMENTS:

– World leaders travel to London for Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral

– The royal lie in state rituals endures despite changing times

– Queen paved the way for the transition to Charles in later years

– Chinese factory produces British flags after Queen’s death

– Find more AP coverage here

———

OTHER DEVELOPMENTS:

LONDON — The wife of King Charles III is paying tribute to the late Queen Elizabeth II and her strength as a woman in a world dominated by male rulers for much of her 70-year reign.

In a video message broadcast on Sunday evening, Queen Consort Camilla says: ‘It must have been so hard for her to be a lonely woman.

She adds: “There were no female prime ministers or presidents. She was the only one, so I think she carved out her own role.

The late Queen, who died on September 8 at the age of 96, ended years of debate over Camilla’s title when she said on the eve of her platinum jubilee earlier this year that it was his “sincere wish” that Camilla, then Duchess of Cornwall, be known as Queen Consort when her eldest son became King.

In a personal reflection on her time with the Queen, Camilla says: “She has these wonderful blue eyes, which when she smiles, they light up her whole face.”

———

LONDON — London police say they have charged a man accused of throwing himself on Queen Elizabeth II’s coffin while it was laid out in Parliament for a public order offence.

The Metropolitan Police said in a statement that Muhammad Khan, a 28-year-old man from east London, is being charged with conduct intended to “cause alarm, harassment or distress”.

Tracey Holland told Sky News her 7-year-old niece was pushed aside by a man who tried to ‘run to the coffin, raise the standard and try to do whatever’. She said police arrested the man in “two seconds”.

Khan is due to appear in Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Monday, the day of the Queen’s state funeral.

[ad_2]

ABC

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button