Skip to content
Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan sign ceasefire after border clashes – RT in French
 | Top stories

Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan sign ceasefire after border clashes – RT in French
| Today Headlines | Google News

The two Central Asian countries have decided to put an end to hostilities, after an outbreak of violence which led to the death of civilians and soldiers. The two neighbors reject responsibility for the outbreak of the incidents.

Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan reached a ceasefire on January 28, after clashes on the evening of January 27 on the border between these two Central Asian countries, during which civilians and soldiers were killed or injured.

“As part of the border conflict, 10 people were injured on the Tajik side, six soldiers and four civilians” and “two citizens of the Republic of Tajikistan” were killed, according to the National Security Committee of this country. The two dead are a man “killed by a mortar shell fired by Kyrgyz soldiers in his yard” and an ambulance driver. The private Tajik news agency Asia-Plus, for its part, reported 17 Tajiks injured. For its part, the Ministry of Health of Kyrgyzstan announced that at least 11 Kyrgyz had been injured.

Kyrgyzstan’s National Security Committee said an agreement had been reached for “a complete ceasefire” with Tajikistan, during a meeting between provincial governors and border services. The two neighboring countries have agreed to withdraw their troops, coordinate border patrols and secure traffic on a strategic route. Kyrgyz President Sadyr Japarov had assured on Facebook that the conflict would be resolved “peacefully, through negotiations”, calling for “not to believe false information” which pushes for “the escalation of the situation”. Tajikistan confirmed the negotiation of an agreement: “The situation at the border is stable, the causes and factors of the border conflict are examined by a joint commission bringing together the competent structures of the two parties”, explained the National Security Committee of Tajikistan in a statement.

Mutual accusations

Each side released its own version of the January 27 events: Kyrgyzstan accused Tajik troops of using mortars and grenade launchers in a firefight that reportedly began just after 7:30 p.m. local time (1:30 p.m. GMT). The fighting reportedly started just after both sides agreed to reopen a road blocked by Tajik citizens. Tajik authorities say tensions began after a group of Kyrgyz “forced to stop” a Tajik vehicle carrying sand between two Tajik villages. “Kyrgyz border guards […] opened fire on civilians in the Republic of Tajikistan,” Dushanbe added, also complaining of “drone flights, violating Tajik airspace”.

Kyrgyzstan countered that Tajikistan “distorts[ait] information on the use of drones” and that, on the contrary, the Tajik border guards had recently used them “for reconnaissance purposes”. “It is worrying that instead of reinforcing the Tajik-Afghan section of its border, where there are around 8,000 fighters from terrorist organizations, Tajikistan is determined to escalate the conflicts on the Kyrgyz-Tajik border,” he said. accused Bishkek. The Kyrgyz Ministry of Emergency Situations also announced the evacuation of nearly 1,500 residents of neighboring villages in the conflict zone, in the south-west of the country.

In the spring of 2021, deadly fighting opposed the forces of the two countries not far from this area, around the Tajik enclave of Voroukh, in Kyrgyzstan. The tensions are linked in particular to questions of access to water. Last year’s violence left nearly 60 dead: it was the deadliest fighting in years. The two countries regularly clash over the delimitation of their borders.

Breaking News Updates abc News Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan sign ceasefire after border clashes – RT in French

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.