The Israeli military said its ground forces would expand their activities in Gaza. The announcement came hours after Israeli forces carried out a second ground raid in as many days and after Israel’s defense minister said the country planned to launch a long and difficult ground invasion of Hamas-ruled territory. .
The development also came after communications services were cut in the Gaza Strip, following a series of Israeli airstrikes that lit up the night sky above the dark territory.
The Palestinian death toll surpassed 7,300 as Israel launched waves of airstrikes in response to Hamas’ bloody rampage in southern Israel on October 7. Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry, which is monitoring the toll, released a detailed list, including names and identification documents. figures Thursday. In the occupied West Bank, more than 110 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli violence and raids since the war began three weeks ago.
More than 1,400 people were killed in Israel, most of them civilians, in the initial Hamas attack. Additionally, 229 people – including foreigners, children and the elderly – were captured by Hamas during the incursion and remain in captivity in Gaza. Four hostages had been released earlier.
First publication: October 28, 2023 9:00 a.m. STI