Skip to content
Images of dead civilians in Ukraine shake the world
This is how Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky described the shocking images of at least 20 bodies of civilian men strewn on the street in Bucha, northwest of the capital kyiv, after Russian forces withdrew from the area. .
Accounts of alleged Russian atrocities, including the gruesome images of dead civilians captured by Agence France-Presse, emerge as its forces retreat from areas near kyiv following a failed attempt to encircle the capital .
“The elimination of the whole nation and the people. We are the citizens of Ukraine. We have more than 100 nationalities. It is about the destruction and extermination of all these nationalities,” Zelensky said on Sunday. on CBS News’ “Face the Nation.” when asked if Russia was committing genocide.

CNN was unable to independently confirm details of the men’s deaths.

Russia responds. The Russian Ministry of Defense claimed that the many images of corpses in Bucha were “false”, claiming that “not a single local resident suffered any violent acts” during the Russian occupation of Bucha.

“In the settlements of the Kyiv region, Russian military personnel delivered and distributed 452 tons of humanitarian aid to civilians,” he said in a statement. A separate statement claimed the footage was staged.

The Russian government has always responded to allegations of civilian casualties inflicted by Russian forces with blanket denials.

The CNN crew observes a mass grave site. A mass grave has been discovered in the town of Bucha, CNN has revealed. CNN saw at least a dozen bodies in body bags stacked inside the grave. Some were already partially covered.

The bodies were first buried in the grave, on the grounds of the Church of St. Andrew and Pyervozvannoho All Saints, in the early days of the war, residents told CNN. About 150 people, mostly civilians killed in fighting around the city, are buried there, residents said. The mayor of Bucha said in public remarks on Saturday that there could be up to 300 victims buried there. CNN has not been able to independently verify these numbers or the identities and nationalities of those buried in the tomb.

“A punch in the stomach.” US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Sunday that the State Department would help document all atrocities committed by the Russian military against Ukrainian civilians.

“You can’t help but see these images as a punch in the stomach,” Blinken told CNN’s Dana Bash Sunday on “State of the Union,” in response to Bucha’s information.
Last month, the State Department formally charged Russian forces with war crimes in Ukraine.

When asked Sunday if Russian troops were committing genocide, Blinken did not go as far as Zelensky.

“We’re going to be watching carefully and documenting everything we see, putting it all together, making sure the relevant institutions and organizations looking at this, including the State Department, have everything they need to assess exactly what’s going on. happened in Ukraine, who is responsible and what it represents,” he said.

New survey coming? The senior UN official said an “independent investigation” into the civilians killed in Bucha is “essential” to ensure “effective accountability”.

“I am deeply shocked by the images of civilians killed in Bucha, Ukraine,” UN Secretary-General António Guterres said in a statement on Sunday.

Other sanctions could be in progress. State Department spokesman Ned Price, meanwhile, hinted at further U.S. action against Russia coming ‘very soon’ when asked about Zelensky’s demand for sanctions. of the G7 in response to the latest alleged atrocities in Bucha.

“As for our sanctions, we have always said that we will continue to pressure President Putin, the Kremlin, everyone around him, including the oligarchs and the cronies who are reinforcing this war of choice against the Ukraine, until and unless the Kremlin de-escalates, until and unless the violence subsides, and until and unless these kinds of atrocities end. So I suspect that you you’ll see that extra pressure apply very soon,” Price told MSNBC on Sunday.

‘Not enough.’ In a video address later Sunday, in which he called for an end to Russian “war crimes”, Zelensky said of tougher sanctions against Russia: “I’m sure that’s not enough.”

“More conclusions are needed. Not only about Russia, but also about the political behavior that allowed this evil to come to our land,” he added.

Expect the attacks to continue. This is not a “real withdrawal of Russian forces”, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said, warning that attacks in Ukraine would continue.

“What we see is not a real withdrawal. But we see that Russia is repositioning its troops and they are taking back some of them to rearm them, reinforce them, resupply them. You kind of have to not be too optimistic because the attacks will continue,” Stoltenberg told CNN on Sunday.

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.