Skip to content
Houston crime: Suspect in SWAT confrontation on Knotty Oaks Trail may not have fired bullet that killed man, HPD says


HOUSTON, TX (KTRK) — A man turned himself in after a fatal shooting in a southwest Houston neighborhood sparked an hour-long SWAT standoff, though what exactly led to the standoff is still unclear.

Houston police received a call Tuesday afternoon of shots being fired at a home in the 4200 block of Knotty Oaks Trail, not far from Madison High School. When officers arrived, a man had already barricaded himself inside, police said.

ORIGINAL REPORT: Suspect in custody after hours-long standoff sparked by shooting in southwest Houston: HPD

ABC13’s Courtney Fischer spoke to locals in the neighborhood. A neighbor said he heard four to five gunshots.

A woman said she was standing in the street and saw a vehicle coming and three people getting out. It was then that she said they started shooting at another group outside the house.

At this point, it’s unclear if the man who barricaded himself inside the house shot someone or was also a victim.

By the time HPD obtained a search warrant to enter the house, it was after 10:30 p.m.

Police finally managed to get the man to surrender just before 11 p.m., after a nearly 10-hour standoff.

The SWAT commander said officers were unable to contact the man. When SWAT finally got inside, officials said the suspect was “just standing there.”

“We leveraged family members and anyone we thought might reach out. We know that often we have people who are scared – whether it’s the circumstances they’re in or the fear police, whatever — so we’re trying to overcome those barriers,” Commander Megan Howard said. “And sometimes family members can help us through that.”

In the backyard, police found a man in his twenties who died of a gunshot wound. It is unclear if the barricaded suspect shot the man, investigators said. They took the suspect downtown, where they questioned him for several hours. He has not been charged.

Investigators do not know how the situation escalated. The initial call simply stated that there was an argument between two men and that firearms were involved.

Police said a 13-year-old boy with autism was alone with the suspect inside the home during the clash.

HPD said the suspect and the teenager were related – so HPD officers were not concerned for the boy’s safety. However, SWAT negotiators feared the child was too scared to come out and trust the police.

Fortunately, he finally got out and the officers breathed a huge sigh of relief.

The standoff lasted several hours after the teenager’s release.

For updates, follow Courtney Fischer on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Copyright © 2022 KTRK-TV. All rights reserved.




cnn-usa

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.