General sues Trudeau government for millions after sexual assault acquittal


Maj. Gen. Dany Fortin has sued Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government for $6 million after he was removed from his role as head of the coronavirus vaccine rollout following allegations of sexual assault.

Maj. Gen. Fortin filed his lawsuit Wednesday in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, alleging the Trudeau government acted in a “reprehensible, extreme, flagrant and authoritarian” manner in 2021.

Fortin was charged with sexual assault in August 2021 following allegations from 1988 when he was enrolled at the Canadian Military College, but he was acquitted of the charges in December last year, the national post newspaper reports.

The lawsuit claims Fortin was defamed and accuses government officials of improperly disclosing private information as well as negligence in their investigation, breach of trust and conspiracy to cause him harm.

Thomas Conway, Fortin’s attorney, said: ‘He has not had the benefit of due process… It has caused him the kind of grief you would expect from anyone, over the kind of allegations which he had to face publicly.”

“There’s a certain, I would say, coldness that has come over the Canadian Armed Forces regarding all of these allegations of sexual misconduct,” Conway said. “And we are in no way trying to trivialize this issue. Never. It is a serious problem. However, unfortunately, everyone seems to have rejected the idea that anyone has a right to a fair trial.

Prime Minister Trudeau is specifically named in the lawsuit, which also alleges Fortin was removed from office for political reasons, along with former Defense Minister Harjit Sajjan, former Health Minister Patty Hajdu and several other government and military officials.

The lawsuit is just the latest problem for Trudeau and his government, which is currently in the midst of a scandal that has seen his Liberal Party accused of benefiting from election interference by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP).

While Trudeau appointed former Governor General David Johnston as special rapporteur on foreign interference to determine whether a formal investigation is needed, leaked memos claim that Trudeau and other senior government officials were already aware of the allegations of CCP interference.

Follow Chris Tomlinson on Twitter at @TomlinsonCJ or by e-mail at ctomlinson(at)breitbart.com.



breitbart

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button