Filipino family attacked at fast food drive-thru in North Hollywood seeks extrication order against assailant | Local News

Today Headlines | abc News


The Filipino American family who were threatened and physically assaulted by a man at a McDonald’s drive-thru in North Hollywood, California last month will be seeking an extraction order against their attacker.

Patricia Roque, 19, has expressed frustration with her family’s ongoing case against Nicholas Weber, who faces hate crime charges, as he refused to attend his arraignment for the third time.

“It’s very frustrating,” said Patricia migrant rights advocate Xenia Tupas on June 24. “How long do we have to wait to get solid confirmation on anything? This is Weber’s third refusal.

“I know we are putting enough pressure on it, but it’s very difficult to put pressure on the right authorities so that they can hear what people and what my family wants in this case,” she added.

More from NextShark: Suspect in Dallas Korean hair salon shooting had ‘illusions’ about Asian Americans, arrest warrant says

Weber, who is currently in police custody, refused to leave his cell for the arraignment. The hearing was not postponed due to his absence, according to a joint statement from the Philippino Migrant Center, the National Alliance for Filipino Concerns (NAFCON) and Migrante Los Angeles.

A arrest warrant was issued after Weber failed to appear in court on June 8. He was arrested in Orange County on June 16 and battery charged causing grievous bodily harm and a battery of misdemeanors, both with hate crime enhancements.

The 31-year-old suspect was filmed harassing and assaulting the Roque family in a McDonald’s drive-thru on Victory Boulevard in North Hollywood on May 13. Weber allegedly put the family car in the back before telling Patricia and her mother, Nerissa, that they were “so Asian”. Weber allegedly used racial slurs and threatened to kill them with a fake Asian accent.

More from NextShark: Single mother killed by suspected street racing accident in Los Angeles

The verbal attack turned physical when Weber attempted to open their car door to get to Patricia but was stopped by her father Gabriel, who arrived on the scene minutes after being called by Patricia. The 60-year-old father was knocked to the ground and broke a rib in the attack. Nerissa was reportedly choked trying to stop Weber.

Activists gathered outside the Van Nuys District Attorney’s office on June 17 to demand justice for the family. Dozens of supporters called on authorities to fully investigate the case and prosecute Weber for committing a hate crime.

Patricia called District Attorney George Gascon’s claim of being in close contact with the family “an exaggeration.”

More from NextShark: Indian students stranded in Ukraine ask for help: ‘There is a lot of panic’

“He is wrong in his information. If he is trying to appease people, to appease my family for his own political and personal gain, then he might as well have researched the context of our case before making a statement that was patently untrue,” Patricia said. “He said the incident happened 10 days ago when in fact it’s been over a month since the incident happened.”

“He also mentioned that he is in close contact with the family. No,” she added. “I think he only contacted my parents once, but that doesn’t amount to close contact. And not only that, we don’t even hear a thing. defense attorneys and him.

Featured image via ABS-CBN News (left, right)

More from NextShark: Indian medical student refused to flee war-torn Ukraine without her Siberian husky pup

Breaking News Updates abc News

Yahoo

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button