Following this decision, France said she was ready on Wednesday to “consider” new repatriations “whenever conditions allowed”.
Article written by
Reading time : 1 min.
The decision has fallen. The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) condemned, Wednesday, September 14, France to reconsider the requests for repatriation of two families of jihadists stranded in Syria. “The Court considers that it is incumbent on the French government to resume the examination of these requests as soon as possible, by surrounding it with appropriate guarantees against arbitrariness”can we read in the press release.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced a few hours later that it had “take note” of the condemnation of France and said he was ready to “consider” new repatriations “whenever conditions permit”. The Quai d’Orsay recalls that the government has already conducted several repatriation operations. While French doctrine has so far been case-by-case returns, Paris operated a massive repatriation in July, bringing back 72 children and 16 mothers.
The ECHR had been seized by two French couples who had unsuccessfully asked the French authorities for the repatriation of their daughters, two young women companions of jihadists, and their three children. The four applicants maintain that this refusal violates the European Convention on Human Rights, a text which the ECHR is responsible for enforcing, in particular by exposing their daughters and grandchildren to “inhuman and degrading treatment”.
The two women had left France in 2014 and 2015 to join Syria where they gave birth to two children for one, one for the other. Now aged 31 and 33, they have been held with them since the beginning of 2019 in the Al-Hol and Roj camps in northeastern Syria.