Emma Raducanu withdraws from Australian Open warm-up event in Melbourne | Emma Raducanu
| Today Headlines | Local News
US Open champion Emma Raducanu has withdrawn from this week’s Australian Open warm-up tournament in Melbourne after testing positive for Covid-19. Raducanu, who became the first qualifier to win a grand slam when she triumphed at Flushing Meadows in September, withdrew from the Mubadala Tennis World Championship exhibition event in Abu Dhabi last month after have contracted the virus.
The 19-year-old was slated to headline one of two WTA 250 women’s warm-up tournaments taking place at Melbourne Park – dubbed the “Melbourne Summer Set” – from January 4-9.
“The time to take part in the first Melbourne event this week is too early for me, I have just returned from isolation,” said Raducanu, quoted by organizers.
The world No. 19 female, who is set to receive an MBE after being named to the Queen’s New Year’s Honors List, is set to compete in the Sydney Classic later this month before making her Open debut. Australia, which begins January 17.
Men’s world No.4 Stefanos Tsitsipas withdrew from his ATP Cup opener against Poland’s Hubert Hurkacz in Sydney on Saturday due to a lingering right elbow problem, but played down fears the problem derail his campaign at the Australian Open. “Recovery from my elbow surgery in November is on track for Melbourne and today was a precautionary measure to make sure I did [it]”Tsitsipas said.” We will see day by day, game by game until then. “
Latest News Headlines Today Headlines Emma Raducanu withdraws from Australian Open warm-up event in Melbourne | Emma Raducanu