Dani Alves has been denied bail and will remain in jail while he is investigated for alleged sexual assault.
A Spanish court has rejected a request for the Brazilian footballer’s provisional release as an investigation continues into the alleged assault at a Barcelona nightclub.
Alves has consistently denied any wrongdoing after the woman in question filed a complaint last month.
Alves’ lawyer had requested that he be released on bail on the condition that he surrender his passport and wear an electronic tag.
But the request was rejected and the court ordered the former Barcelona, Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain defender to stay at Brians 2 prison near Barcelona.
The court ruled that Alves was at risk of fleeing and should remain in jail pending the investigation.
The court said: “There is a high risk of absconding because the severe sentence he faces in the present case, the strong evidence of wrongdoing and his economic power would allow him to leave Spain at any time.”
Alves was arrested in January after the woman’s charges came to light over a Dec. 30 nightclub incident in which Alves claimed the sex with the accuser was consensual.
The star’s defense team said: “Daniel Alves remains as innocent as he was before this decision. His desire to leave Spain and escape the process did not and does not exist.
In Spain, a rape complaint is being investigated on the charge of sexual assault, which carries a prison sentence of four to 15 years.
The conviction may also give rise to financial compensation to be paid to the victim to cover physical, physiological and moral damage.