‘The Crown’ star Claire Foy was convinced her American stalker was going to kill her and her daughter when he showed up at her home in the UK, a court has heard.
Jason Penrose, 49, pleaded guilty on Wednesday to criminal harassment involving serious alarm or distress – a crime that carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison, according to London’s Evening Standard.
Before showing up at the star’s home, he had bombarded his publicist with more than 1,000 emails – as well as texts and emails to his sister and her ex-boyfriend, according to the newspaper.
“He talked about the victim, Ms Foy, being raped and wanted her to be his girlfriend,” prosecutor Varinder Hayre told Thames Magistrates’ Court.
The “sustained, unwanted, obsessive and obsessive behavior” reached a terrifying peak when the “delusional” stalker showed up at Foy’s home on December 17, according to the court report.
He repeatedly rang the doorbell until Foy’s daughter, then 6, answered the intercom, the court heard.
“It’s Jason, I’m out,” Penrose said, which the prosecutor said left the actress “in genuine fear for her safety and terrified and helpless in her own home.”
“Ms. Foy was terrified as she did not know what her intention was. She feared for her life and that of her daughter,” Hayre said.
“She has trouble sleeping and is terrified in her own home. She feels like the freedoms before Mr Penrose contacted her are now gone,’ he added.
The actress – who played Queen Elizabeth II on Netflix’s hit Royal show – wrote a letter to the court detailing the damage, saying she had begged her friends not to tag her on social media out of fear May it help him find her.
“His relentless attempts to contact me are so traumatic,” she wrote, according to the Standard.
“I feel like nothing would stop him from contacting me, he’s affected every aspect of my life.”
Penrose also admitted two violations of a harassment protection order for sending another letter and package from the hospital where he was being treated earlier this year, the court heard.
However, he was released on bail before being sentenced on November 28 by a higher court, where he should expect “a long prison sentence”, reportedly warned District Judge William Nelson.
The US citizen – who only gave the address of the London hospital where he was treated – was ordered to surrender his passport and not to make any contact with Foy.
“I have no interest in doing that,” he insisted from the dock.