Skip to content
California governor denounces ‘scourge’ of gun violence after 6 people killed in Sacramento

California Governor Gavin Newsom (D) described a deadly mass shooting in Sacramento as a “horrifying act of gun violence” in a statement released hours after six people were killed and 12 injured in a downtown entertainment district on Sunday.

The massacre, which took place in the early hours of the morning, occurred in a part of town filled with bars and restaurants, Sacramento news station KXTV reported. Sunday evening, a single victim had been named by a relative, but no official identification had been made.

Newsom said his administration “will continue to work closely with local and state law enforcement as we monitor the situation.”

“What we know at this point is that another mass shooting has taken place, leaving families with loved ones lost, multiple people injured and a community in mourning,” Newsom said in his declaration. “The scourge of gun violence continues to be a crisis in our country, and we must resolve to end this carnage.”

Officers were on a routine patrol in the area when they responded to the sound of gunfire and located a large crowd and the shooting victims, according to the Sacramento Police Department.

“Officers have begun taking action to rescue multiple victims at the scene,” police said in a news release. “Despite these efforts, six victims were pronounced dead at the scene.”

Four of the victims were taken to UC Davis Medical Center, while another victim was taken to Sutter Hospital, KCRA Channel 3 in Sacramento reported.

At least one firearm had been recovered from the scene, the Sacramento Police Department reported.

A video has surfaced on Twitter appearing to show the shooting. In this video, a number of people can be seen fighting until gunfire begins, sending people fleeing the scene.

Police said in a news release that they are investigating a social media video that “appears to show an altercation that preceded the shooting” to determine if it is linked to Sunday’s shooting.

At a press conference, new Sacramento Police Chief Kathy Lester said filming was “a very complex and complicated scene” and urged residents to contact the police for any information. Those who might have evidence were asked to submit it to the Sacramento Police website.

Police are looking for at least one person in connection with the shooting and a firearm that was recovered from the scene. A $1,000 reward was being offered for information leading to that person’s arrest, according to KXTV.

After the shooting, family members of the victims gathered in the city center as they sought answers on Sunday about the fate or conditions of their loved ones.

“I just think it’s really too bad the Sacramento Police Department hasn’t confirmed anything to any of the families,” said Pamela Harris, whose 38-year-old son Sergio was in the area at the time of the incident. shooting. in an interview with KCRA. “I’m not here to be nosy. I want answers.

Harris later discovered that her son was one of six people killed.

“My son was a very lively young man,” Harris told KCRA. “For this to happen, it’s crazy. I don’t know what to do. I don’t even feel like it’s real. It feels like a dream.”

Details of other victims were still being released by Sacramento police as of Sunday evening.

A number of community leaders spoke about the tragedy, including community activist Berry Accius, who was at the scene after the shooting.

“The first thing I saw was like victims,” Accius told The Associated Press. “I saw a young girl with a whole lot of blood in her body, a girl taking glass away from her, a young girl screaming saying, ‘They killed my sister.’ A mother comes running, ‘Where is my son, has my son been shot?’ »

Sacramento Mayor Darryl Steinberg also released a statement in response to the shooting.

“Words cannot express my shock and sadness this morning,” Steinberg said in a tweet.

Echoing Newsom, Steinberg also noted that gun violence was on the rise in Sacramento.

“Increasing gun violence is the blight of our city, state and nation, and I support all actions to reduce it,” he added. “Our new Chief of Police, Kathy Lester, has made this a top priority, and I strongly support her.”

Sacramento City Council member Katie Valenzuela, who represents District 4, where the shooting took place, said it was one of many violent incidents she had encountered since taking office in 2020.

“I got the call no elected official wants to get,” Valenzuela tweeted. “Another shooting. More lives lost. The national epidemic of gun violence has hit our community – again.

Another fatal mass shooting occurred a month earlier when a man opened fire on his three daughters and another person and then killed himself in a Sacramento church.

The Sacramento Kings basketball team, which plays at the Golden 1 Center near the shooting site, expressed its condolences in a statement released Sunday morning.

“Our community is in mourning as we mourn those who were senselessly killed today by gun violence,” the team said. “Our prayers are with those who have been injured and our hearts go out to all the anguished families affected by this devastating act.”



Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.