Skip to content
British Army confirms breach of its Twitter and YouTube accounts |  british army


The British military confirmed a “breach” of its Twitter and YouTube accounts and said it was investigating.

His Twitter account appeared to have been hacked and bore the name “BAPESCAN” instead of British Army and a profile picture of what looked like a cartoon monkey in make-up.

Its description had been changed from: “Follow us for news and information on deployments, training exercises, ceremonial duties and regimental events. Recruitment @armyjobsto “#1 metavesto clan on ETH chain with multi-billion dollar experience. Powered by @chaintchlabs”.

Even when the UK Army account reverted to its name and description, there were still retweets of posts regarding NFTs – non-fungible tokens or digital artwork – which appeared to have been the work of pirates. Those retweets were still on Army Twitter as of 8:30 p.m. Sunday night.

The British Army YouTube channel has reportedly been replaced with an account named Ark Invest and its logo. He appeared to be promoting an alleged interview with Tesla founder Elon Musk about cryptocurrency. Ark Invest is a global investment company. There is no indication that she was an accomplice to the offence. The Guardian has contacted Ark Invest for comment.

It is unknown who is behind the hacks.

A military spokesperson said: “We are aware of a breach of the military’s Twitter and YouTube accounts and an investigation is ongoing. We take information security very seriously and solve the problem. Until the investigation is complete, it would be inappropriate to comment further.

A tweet posted later on the official account said: “Apologies for the temporary interruption of our feed. We will fully investigate and learn from this incident. Please follow us and normal service will now resume.

Tory MP Michael Fabricator previously tweeted: “How embarrassing. @British Army The Twitter account has been hacked. Not by the #Russians I do not think so !

In April it emerged that the British Army’s computerized recruitment system had been closed since mid-March.

It was temporarily shut down as a precaution when data relating to around 120 army recruits was discovered and put up for sale on the dark web.

However, it was unclear if there had been a hack or if anyone had obtained a screenshot or printout.

At the time, a British Army spokesperson said: “Following the compromise of a small selection of recruit data, the Army’s online recruitment services have been temporarily suspended in the UK. awaiting an investigation”.

It was later restored.




theguardian Gt

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.