Baby dies after being left in hot car for up to 2 a.m., police say


A 3-month-old baby died after being left in a hot car until 2 a.m. Tuesday in Washington, DC, after paramedics were unable to revive him, police said.

Police told local media the baby, identified as Aaron Boyd Jr., died Tuesday evening. So far, no charges have been brought against the parents and police are investigating the death, which is the 15th of its kind this year, according to a national advocacy group.

Emergency crews were dispatched after 6 p.m. Tuesday after the baby’s parents called 911 from the Park View neighborhood in the nation’s capital, Fox affiliate WTTG-TV reported. The station cited a police report saying the child was left in a black sedan as temperatures hit the 90s on Tuesday.

Police said the child’s father found the baby inside the car where the baby had been left until two o’clock, NBC affiliate WRC-TV reported. Paramedics attempted to revive the baby, who had been reported as unresponsive and unconscious, according to the station.

“We have a 3-month-old boy, in cardiac arrest… doing CPR for about eight minutes,” a first responder said over the radio, according to the WRC. The child’s family declined to comment to the station and police said their investigation was ongoing.

A 3-month-old baby died after being left in a hot car in Washington, DC, police said. No charges have been filed at this time. Above is an image of the interior of a car baking in the sun.
kurmyshov/Getty Images

According to the national non-profit organization, more than 1,000 children have died in burning cars since 1990. On average, 38 children die each year because they are left in a burning vehicle. In 2018, the nonprofit recorded the highest number of child deaths related to hot cars at age 54. The number has since declined and 23 were recorded last year.

“Child car deaths and injuries are widely misunderstood by the general public and the majority of parents believe it will never happen to them,” the organization said in a statement to the WRC on Wednesday afternoon. “In an overwhelming majority of child car deaths, it was a loving and responsible parent who unknowingly left the child.”

Safety attorney Dave Statter told OMCP that emergency medical services teams were initially dispatched to a child trapped in a car, but the 911 caller later told him that the baby had been removed. However, he said crews did not realize the child was in cardiac arrest and no one was dispatched for about eight minutes.

“It’s important to get firefighters and EMS on those critical calls as soon as possible,” he told the station. “When you lose eight minutes in cardiac arrest, you’re not doing a good job.”

The Unified Communications Office released a statement to the station, saying it was updating the incident.

Newsweek has contacted the Washington DC Metropolitan Police Department for comment.



Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button