Ayotzinapa: retired Mexican general arrested for missing students in 2014

[ad_1]


Mexico City
CNN

Mexico has arrested retired army general José Rodríguez Pérez in connection with the bloody disappearance of 43 students in the town of Iguala nearly eight years ago.

Deputy Security Secretary Ricardo Mejía broke the news Thursday, referring to Rodríguez only as “the commander of the 27th Infantry Battalion when the events in Iguala occurred.” He did not specify any allegations against Rodríguez. A spokesperson for the Secretariat of the Government confirmed to CNN that Rodríguez Pérez retired with the rank of general.

CNN is working to contact Rodríguez’s defense.

Mejía said a total of four arrest warrants had been issued for unidentified members of the Mexican military. Three of the four were arrested, he said.

Mexico’s defense secretary did not respond to CNN’s request for comment.

The missing students were intercepted by local police and federal military forces on September 26, 2014, as they were heading to Mexico City from their teachers’ college near the town of Ayotzinapa.

They intended to commemorate the anniversary of the Tlatelolco massacre in 1968, where government forces killed up to 300 student protesters in Mexico City. But they never succeeded.

The bullet-riddled buses were later seen on the streets of Iguala, and some remaining students who were on the buses accused security forces of opening fire. But forty-three of their peers were never found.

On August 18, a truth commission established by Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador released a bombshell report concluding that the missing students were victims of “state-sponsored crimes”, alleging that agents from multiple government agencies were agreement with elements of organized crime to commit the crime. murders. According to the report, at least six of these victims were first abducted and then killed under Rodríguez’s watch.

“It is presumed that six of the students remained alive for four days after the events and that they were killed and disappeared on the orders of then-presumed Colonel José Rodríguez Pérez,” the senior Mexican official said. of Human Rights, Alejandro Encinas, during the August press. conference alongside Lopez Obrador.

The report, Encinas added, alleges that on September 30, 2014, Rodríguez said that “they had already taken care of the six students who remained alive”.

[ad_2]
Cnn

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button